Thursday, June 04, 2009

Hearing His Voice

And Jesus answered and said to her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. Luke 10:41

Ever heard God speak directly to you? I have. I used to claim Luke 10:41 as my own personal Bible verse, after all my name is Martha, and I have been known to worry and fret over many things; children, friends, family members, the messes in my house, school, paperwork, dr. appointments,... Of course I'm worried and troubled over many things, there are so many things to be worried and troubled about.
Yesterday Hannah and I cleaned out a cupboard full of books. Tucked away amidst the seeming hundreds of titles was this one. I scarcely recall acquiring it, I think it came from a women's Bible study I never attended, but I found the title, as well as the contents, quite timely considering my last two posts. (I actually started yesterday's well ahead of cleaning the cabinet, I just changed the time when I finished it up and posted.) I read the first few pages last night and found that although most of us women praise Mary and strive to be like her, we secretly want to defend Martha. I was relieved to find I'm not alone.
So, back to the original question. I think I actually heard His "voice" yesterday as He smiled and handed me this book. (I need to take the time now to sit at His feet and read it.) He's been speaking to me in other ways too, often it's in scripture verses repeated through various sources. And, there was the time last week when He tapped me on the shoulder, shook His head and said, "Don't do it." Sadly, I did it anyway and felt that disconnection that comes from being disobedient. I'm happy to say He didn't let me get away with it. It's over now and He has forgiven me once more. He even gave me a book to let me know He still loves me.

4 comments:

  1. Aww! ♥
    What a great big hug from Him!
    I know I have heard His voice, but sadly, I feel like it has been too long since the last time.
    Enjoy your reading! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martha,

    I love your sweet posts. I know exactly what you are saying and meaning.

    You are so sweet and honest in your writing, you don't try to sound pious and in control of everything all the time. You expect the Lord to speak to you through His word and He does!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I jumped over from Stacy's blog, after reading the comment you left :) I loved your comment about the convention.

    And...I just saw that book and was thinking of starting it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How neat that you found that book after writing those last 2 posts! Now there's no way you can just put it away without reading it.

    ReplyDelete