Saturday, June 23, 2007

Giant Fuzzy Flower

James and I found some of these back in the orchard a few days ago and brought some home for Hannah.

June 25, 2007
The first photo just doesn't give you a good idea of how big this "pusteblume" really is, so I'm posting an addendum. That's my hand holing the stem and the "bloom" is just as big as my fist. Pretty impressive! (Well, I think it is anyway.) We think they are called Salsify and the root is often called Oyster Vegetable (or something like that). I guess the roots make great sandwiches. Anyone ever heard of it?

PS. If you came here looking for pictures, check my later post here. http://justseven.blogspot.com/2009/07/salsify-funny-flower.html

13 comments:

  1. It looks like a giant dandelion gone to seed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a whole lot bigger than a dandelion, about as big around as a softball.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool, I wonder what the flowers look like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does look like a dandelion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Humm, in the orchard sprayed with pesticides? Chemically altered giant mutant dandy lions! The country is sounding like more fun every day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know that I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neat!! Thanks for putting it perspective. I don't know anything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, am I ever behind! Had to read about 5 entries to catch up!! Never seen those before!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful...it would take a big puff...to blow that one away!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never heard of it. Someone should do an internet research on it and give us all a report.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never heard of these before either. You try one on a sandwhich first and let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We call them goats beard in Saskatchewan. http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/cropprot/weedguid/goatsbrd.htm

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you're right, Pem MB. They look exactly the same.

    ReplyDelete