Saturday, June 16, 2007

Summer Dreams

(My brother Tim)
Visitng Uncle Joe's farm is a treasured childhood memory. The sights and smells were so different than those of home. Uncle Joe had a dairy farm in Caneadea, NY, close to the Genesee River. Sometimes we watched the milking machines pump milk as the cows stood in the stanchions. There were troughs that ran behind the cows to catch the waste (Be careful where you step!) and the smell of manure was heavy in the air. Once a cow delivered her calf during our visit. Uncle Joe had a milk house where he kept a big tank to hold the milk until a truck came to haul it away. Once they even gave me a drink. I recall kittens in the haymow and lots of hound dogs. I didn't like those dogs. On one occasion they had a dead critter and were tearing it to shreds. I was not impressed and kept my distance from those horrible canines. There must have been horses but they aren't clear in my memory. I do remember the chickens and how Sally Sue would call out "Here chick, chick! Here chick, chick!" as she spread grain in the driveway. They all came running and gobbled up the food as fast as they could.
One year there was a little lamb which was fed with a baby bottle. Boy, could that little lamb pull hard on that bottle. I had all I could do to hold on to it. Aunt Sharkey had a big old fashioned flower garden full of beautiful flowers and it seemed as though there was always a big pot of corn on the cob cooking on the stove. We would often stay until after supper and drive the two hours home in the dark. The car was warm and cozy, the drive long and we always fell asleep along the way. When we were small, Dad would carry us inside, plop us down in our beds and cover us up. Baths could wait until morning...

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. I have a picture of my sister when she was about 5 yrs old in the same exact position feeding a lamb with a bottle. She is 72 now. What a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hummm, you create beautiful pictures with your words! I loved the trips at night in the car too. Mine was to my uncle's in eastern OR, much different than home also, sagebrush and sand. We would leave after Dad got off work, mom would pack a lunch and tuck us kids in back of the stationwagon with sleeping bags. Oh, warm and cozy indeed! Thanks for sharing you childhood so vividly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have those memories of the farm. By the time I came along there weren't many visits there I guess. I do remember the 2 hour drive to Angelica, and I do remember Aunt Sharky, but I don't have all those memories of the farm. I wish I could share them with you. I LOVE the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it cool how memories from years past can still warm our hearts! I wonder what memories we make for others...You seem like the kind of person that has built fun ones like that with your own children and soon will soon with your grandchildren!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't remember as much as you do either. I do remember Aunt Sharky snipping beans. I remember a HUGE horse. I also remember wlking in the cow barn to watch the milking.

    I also remember the games Unlce Joe would play with us...like the jumping toothpick in his hand.

    ReplyDelete