Sunday, June 17, 2007

Father's Day

Another Father's Day has come and gone. We had a lovely picnic at Rachel's house and mostly spent the time relaxing and talking together. It's too bad I let these special days sneak up on me when there are so many ways I appreciate my dad. He has been a constant source of love and encouragement throughout my life, always nearby to lend a helping hand or give sound advice, consistantly setting a godly example, and never backing down from what he knows is right. On summer nights when I was a little girl he would wash my face, neck and arms in the bathroom sink, then set me up on his knee to scrub the dust from my dirty feet before tucking me into bed at night. Sometimes he read stories or drew pictures for us. There was music when he played his guitar and harmonica and plenty of songs. Sometimes he got down on the floor to play "rough stuff" or threw me over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes. We always said our prayers before going to sleep at night and good night kisses were never forgotten. I never worried that my dad wouldn't come home at night or what condition he would be in when he arrived. What we learned in Sunday school he lived in his day to day life. And though he's grown older with the years he continues to set that same example for all us today.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah...He's a great guy! Too bad I missed it. But I had a nice picnic with Jamie's Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember all of those nice things too, he really is an awesome dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, Grandpa had always been a good source of encouragement and a Godly example for all of us kids... It's funny growing older and being able to share that bond in a different kind of way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a wonderful Shot of your Poppa Martha!..He certainly would be near the top of good men I know. You are certainly very fortunate in sooo many ways to have a Dad like this in your life...and I am honoured just for knowing such an incredible man..

    ReplyDelete