Tuesday, October 08, 2024

Cheater Post

 Copied from those unusually long status updates I posted to Facebook this week...

Sunday, October 6, 2024 4:32 pm- The world is full of teachers who leave lasting impressions on the children who pass through their classrooms. I thought of Miss Eckert last week, quite possibly on the very day she slipped out of her earthly body and into the other side. I’m grateful for the little bit of time we spent together one day in August of 2016. She was struggling with “cognitive impairment” but it was still a joy to be with her. We went out to lunch and talked about her first few years of teaching 2nd grade. I had the wonderful opportunity to thank her for taking the time to talk to me on one of the most impactful and confusing days of my then eight years. 

Sunday, October 6, 2024 6:39 pm- After my last post, the one about my 2nd grade teacher, I went out to drop off a photo album and pick up some cat food. I got into a short line at Wegmans rather than going through the usual self checkout lane. There was an "slightly old than me" couple just ahead. The woman appeared somewhat animated but as she wandered closer to me, I could tell she was confused. (Did I just mention "cognitive impairment"?) He husband tried to lead her away, but I assured him she was not bothering me at all. I tried talking to her but her answers were just a jumble of words. She was trying too, but nothing was making sense. 😕 Her husband soon paid for their groceries and took her by the hand. They started slowly for the door, her in no hurry to leave. I paid for my few items and caught up with them just outside the door where I took her other hand, walked with them all the way to the end of the parking lot where "Angela" was safely loaded into the front seat, and then made my way back to may own car. It doesn't always take a huge effort to show a stranger a little bit of love.

Monday, October 7, 2024 8:49 pm- I'm getting used to a new phone and it has some tricks I'm not quite used to. It's very sensitive to touch, so sensitive that I often don't even have to touch it. When texting, it is always listening, sometimes to a podcast instead of me (because I'm not talking and don't realize the microphone is on...) and is printing random words in the text box, so if we are ever texting back and forth and you receive a rather confusing message, let me apologize ahead of time.

Tuesday, October 8, 2024 3:36 pm-I’ve been without a regular full time job since mid May. No job I applied to panned out, but I enjoyed my summer outside and my girls kept me afloat by paying me to watch the kids while they worked. In September, because I still had no obligation to a steady place of employment, I was able to spend time with a friend while her husband was very sick in a Pennsylvania hospital. I was there when he passed, and was available to follow her and her son as they pulled their camper back to central Florida . Not finding employment had been disheartening and my most promising prospect had called about an interview when I was on my way south. I returned home between hurricanes and resumed the search for a job. Yesterday I had an interview and accepted a position at a local Dunkin (and today another establishment called looking for an interview). I am entirely grateful that God knows best because without the open schedule I would never have had the opportunity to spend so much of September with my sweet friend.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment