Thursday, January 13, 2022

Learning to Laugh at Myself

Did I happen to mention how I failed all the security measures at the airport on my home from Florida? I left a roll of dollar bills in my right from jeans pocket that showed up on the body scanner and because of that $23.00 I was subjected to a basic pat down. (They never inquired as to what I was sneaking through security.) Not only did I acquire a free pat down, but I was blessed with a "random" hand swab as well. I failed, and this failure earned me a second and more thorough pat down as well as a search of my belongings. "Would you like to go somewhere private?" asked the TSA agent. I wanted to laugh, but I  refrained. "No," I replied, and did not add, "whatever you need to do you can do in front of the entire airport," although I highly doubt anyone was interested in hanging around to watch. 

I probably don't need to tell you they found neither drugs nor explosives. The rest of the trip went by without incident, but back home I got really curious what in the world they could possibly have detected on my hands. I didn't have to dig deep. It had to have been glycerin. Used to make explosives, also used in oils and hand lotions. Just that morning I'd been curious about my grandson's cleansing oil and put a drop or two in my hand. I thought I was being sneaky. Guess not.

Yesterday I put my sweater on in the dark and wore it to work inside out. It's a navy and white, button up sweater with a winter pattern. I wore it for two hours before realizing my blunder. In the early morning dark of my bedroom I'd simply pulled it on over my head, never realizing I'd hung it up inside out. I don't know it anyone at work noticed before me. If they did, they certainly didn't let on. Ha ha! Good thing I can find the humor in being human. (It is funny, isn't it?) It's not near as hilarious as a wardrobe foible I had several years back. LOL!

Work was interesting this week. All of my babies were out Monday through Wednesday due to an "exposure." I went in when we opened and at 9 o'clock headed for the kitchen and did my old job for three days. At 12:30 pm I was free to go home. It was like an extended vacation after my three days off last week. Today we were back to "normal" (whatever that is) and I was back in the Infant Room with my four babies. What a crazy little bunch they are!

Marilyn, I'm sad that you haven't been able to leave comments. People have told me this in the past and yet I am set to accept all comments including those which are anonymous. I'm not sure how to fix this. Please keep trying or maybe set up a google account?

8 comments:

  1. I also declined the offer of a private room, I mean, who would say yes to that?! I was aggressively patted down by a handsy woman, and I mean aggressively, something that should be prosecute-able, so humiliating. I burst into tears afterward...publicly groped, oh dear. I cannot believe they have the right to do this, and of course we don't HAVE to fly, but if we have kids who live in Cali, we HAVE to fly! Your sweater looks nice both ways, ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry your experience was so humiliating. My second pat down, thankfully, was not much different from the first. This should not be allowed, but here we are.

      The sweater. Ha ha! It does look pretty good both ways.

      Delete
  2. Martha, it's special people like you that make the world go round! What would we have to chuckle about if you didn't have so many mishaps.Love you to the moon and beyond. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I have any more mishaps than the next guy, but here I am recording them for the world to see. If my mishaps make someone else smile, or feel a little less humiliated, then I'm all for sharing.
      I love you right back again!
      :0)

      Delete
  3. lol! I have had similar experiences at the airport. Good grief! They can pat me down/check for whatever in front of everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering what in the world they were going to do that they hadn't already done in the first pat down. I keep wondering why they pick me out of all the other travelers... Am I really that threatening? Ha ha!

      Delete
  4. Totally crazy on the pat down..$23.00 is really dangerous..
    Sweater looks great both ways.. Thanks for my giggle though.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will never understand why they don't simply ask what is in the pocket. It seems so simple... Thanks on the sweater. Ha ha!

      Delete