Saturday, November 28, 2020

Crossing Jordon Hand in Hand

 Yesterday I met my friend Myung at the park. She was looking for a fellow Christian, someone with whom to share her inner struggles, and a friend with which to pray. We walked along the lake shore, into the park, and up the hill to the picnic area filled with old gnarled sycamore trees, stopping every so often to talk. I wasn't sure how to answer, but know that very often I am simply looking for a listening ear and an understanding heart. 

Our struggles are vastly different, and yet similar all at the same time. We have each been held captive in prisons of our own making. Shackled by our own emotions, held in chains of the past. She shared how she has been reading the book of Deuteronomy and thinking on the children of Israel crossing the Jordon River into Canaan, leaving the wilderness forever behind. We stood face to face, eyes closed, each simultaneously praying for the other and ourselves. When we'd finished praying we symbolically crossed the River Jordon hand in hand. We are moving forward. No looking back. No more living in the past or allowing it to control the future.

I was back home again when she sent me a text. One of the quotes she sent was The bee fertilizes the flower it robs. "I love this word," she said, "It is for me," and it fit her situation perfectly. Honestly, it fits mine too.

Below this quote was another, When it is dark enough you can see the stars, and I recalled how five years ago a deep darkness had descended upon my soul. The darkness was so thick that I was emotionally paralyzed. Every time I lay down, I could literally hear the sound of my own blood rushing through my ears. Every time I sat down my knee bounced up and down. I wasn't sure the world could ever be bright and carefree ever again... but I am learning that in the darkness the light of Christ shines even brighter. I don't have to be afraid and I don't have to stand still because he holds my hand and His word lights the path before me. My part is to trust Him, hold tight to His hand, and keep walking.

My friend is praying for me and I am praying for her. I am in awe of how God has brought us together.

7 comments:

  1. So happy He has placed you in each other's lives to help each other.❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I will pray for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this just gave me chills..in a good way...It's so thrilling to see how God is working in your life. He is good to give you a special person to pray and be with every so often. That's the best gift of all.
    (((hugs)))
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Martha 👋 27 years ago my first husband passed away when I was 51. I was devastated of course, and I honestly thought I would never recover from it. I thought I would die from my grief. A very different situation from you, but the grieving can be very similar. I joined a support group through the YMCA and that with the help of my psychologist, my family and friends, I did heal, but never the same. I know how much work goes into healing from a terrible loss and for me shock as my husband died of a heart attack. Keep working at it Martha dear, keep looking forward to the future and make small plans, something you think you would like to work towards. A little new something..........maybe something for your garden, anything just something to look forward to. You WILL come out the other end......I know it. Take care. And be kind to yourself and big hugs 🤗

    Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you each and every one of you for your prayers and words of encouragement. You mean the world to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Martha...God is getting the Glory in your situation and God is getting the Glory in this new friendship. I'm so happy for you. I loved this post...so real, so honest, don't we all need that in some way! I know I do. Love you.

    ReplyDelete