Thursday, December 11, 2008

An Unexpected Quiet

I woke up at my normal time this morning. The clock said 8:03. I rolled out of bed, gathered my clothes and headed for the shower. Americans are so spoiled, not only do I have the blessing of getting a shower each day but the water is warm and I have soap too. I heard the phone ring downstairs as I was getting dressed. I wasn't about to dash out half clad to answer it. Good thing because Ben was already up and about. He answered the phone and soon I heard a knock on the bathroom door. By this time I was dressed. It was Troy's father on the other end. "I'm keeping Troy with me today," he said. This bit of information means I don't have to get Troy from preschool and when school lets out at noon I will have just two girls getting off the bus. No little boys makes for a much quieter house.
I headed for my bedroom and looked at the unmade bed. The covers were rather haphazard. I didn't feel like making it this morning. I wonder if anything would ever be accomplished if we all took that attitude and never followed through on the task at hand. I pulled the sheet and blankets up toward the top of the bed, straightened the edges and headed over to the opposite side. Making my bed each morning takes less than five minutes. It is something I commited myself to do several years back and the times I don't are few. Sadly, there are other little jobs and callings that I often put off or ignore all together. Maybe today, with the unexpected quiet, I can catch up with a few of those waiting tasks.

2 comments: