Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Respect Your Elderberries



My neighbor, Bob, has elderberry trees growing in his yard. Each summer he brings us a nice big bag of berries and we make elderberry pie. My father loves it, Aunt Margie loves it, our friend, Don, loves it. My husband seems to like it and the kids don't mind it either. Elderberry pie is not my favorite. I think the fresh berries taste like grass and I am not impressed by the flavor of the pie either. I used to eat it anyway and then one day I asked myself, "Why are you eating this? You don't even like it. Why would you consume all those extra calories in a food you don't enjoy?" This year I'll just respect those elderberries from a distance and save myself for apple pie.

9 comments:

  1. Bring on the apple and pumpkin pies!! I also like cream pies. I have never had an elderberry pie, but I'll take your word for it that it's just not worth the extra calories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never had elderberry anything! But from your description it doesn't sound very appetizing. I'm not big on pies. I like apple pie and rhubarb... but I'll take ice-cream over pie anyday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, I tried calling... I get a recording saying your line is temporarily unavailable! Jessi didn't get to go to Bre's house today afterall and she's desperate to have a friend over!!!! qfrvegwg

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not trying to to convince anyone that elderberries are terrible, it's just that I don't like them. Don said he'd stand on his head for an elderberry pie and my father pobably would too. It's his favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. respect your elderberries...now thats a good one...cough cough

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like elderberry pie... Especially with vanilla ice cream. Yum.

    It does always seem to remind me of "halunda berries" though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never had elderberry pie...but was once given a glass of homemade elderberry wine (Ken Friehler). Con't remember if I was impressed or not. That was so many moons ago!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a grass pie once, but it tasted like elderberries.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jim! You eat grass?

    ReplyDelete