Tuesday, August 20, 2013

F is for Field Trip

F is for field trip and today was the day!

For far too long I have con- sidered taking the girls I babysit out to a local park to walk the nature trails and feed the birds, but not followed through. Summer is quickly fading and since it was such a beautiful day, we packed them into the van and headed out for some fun. Normally I bring a bag of sunflower seeds, but wanting to save time, we tossed a bit regular birdseed mix into a bag and hoped the chickadees wouldn't be too disappointed.

None of the girls had been to this particular spot and so none had yet exper- ienced the wonder of having a small bird land on their fingers. I prepared them the best I could, telling them how it felt kind of funny to have a birds claws land on your hand but that it didn't hurt. I also informed them that sometimes the birds fly directly toward your face on their way to land in your hand. It might seem scary, but it really isn't.

We were not dis- appointed in our adventure and the birds were happy to pick the sunflower seeds out of our hands and leave the rest. I managed to catch of photo of each child with a small bird, but wished I could have also captured the expressions that came over their faces after the first birds flew back into the trees. It was priceless.

 For more ABC Wednesday fun, click here.

10 comments:

  1. That's wonderful!
    Happy Wednesday!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's a FANTASTIC lesson in nature!
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful experience. How well you have prepared them and the shots are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Splendid experience for the girls. How fun to see the little birds eat from their hands. They won't forget this anytime soon.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the best lesson a child can get!
    I hope you'll have many such nice trips!
    Wil, ABCW Team

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwwww...that is something I would put on my To Do list for sure!!!
    Chickadees are my very favorite bird...well...except of course for the Cardinals and the Blue Jays!!! ha!
    Never mind!
    Great post...perfect for the kiddies!

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are funny!
      I think you should come and visit me. We can take the day off and feed chickadees.
      :)

      Delete
  7. I've never done this before. Next time...call me, Use the phone. It won't bite you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow now that must've been a Fabulous moment. Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed this post.

    Suzy at SomedaySomewhere

    ReplyDelete