Friday, August 09, 2013

Resistance is Futile

For the past nine years I have had a pottery wheel in my basement. Granted it is not the kind found in most pottery studios. It is, in fact, one of a kind. My Darling made it for me. Today I washed the dust and grime from its top and seat, and brushed off a few spider webs. Hannah went out to the barn and found an extension cord so I could plug it in...

What I really wanted eight or nine years ago was to order a pretty wheel from an artist supply company, the kind like my first pottery teacher had in her studio, so when my husband got creative and made a wheel, I was much less appreciative than I should have been. I found more to complain about than just the wheel. I didn't really want to work in a dark and musty basement, and so I have gone many years without. I am ashamed to admit how ungrateful I was. :-(

So, now I am back to the question I had eight years ago. Do I spend a significant amount of money and buy a new wheel, or do I use what I have and learn to work with it? It really is, in many ways, much nicer than those store-bought pottery wheels. And it it has a cushy seat too! Today I worked with it. My first bowl collapsed and my second bowl threatened to. I decided perhaps my clay was too wet or maybe I worked it too fast. (I'll have to do some research...) Anyhow, I stopped before she went over again. It's a wide mouthed bowl, not too deep, but not too bad either. We'll have to see how it trims up.

I really do have the best husband in the whole world. :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed...I think it's beautiful! Glad you're going to enjoy your wheel. Funny how when something isn't exactly what we had our heart set on, that we refuse to see the beauty in what's given to us. I did that once with a gold necklace. I had asked for a long one and got a short one, so I rarely wore it. At the time, I was irritated, thinking he never really listens to what I say. Years later, I happened to see it in my jewelry box and thought how beautiful it was....something I wouldn't allow myself to see before. Oh dear...haha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Betsy, I think so too.

      I guess we can become rather child-like when we don't get our own way, can't we? I bet your necklace is absolutely beautiful, and maybe even more special now.

      I think I shall be spending a bit more time down in my beautiful basement. Maybe I'll even sweep out a few more cobwebs. :)

      Delete