Tuesday, August 06, 2013

D is for Don't

D is for don't. I don't know why I feel compelled to chose these words...

"Don't" just happened to be my eldest daughter's first real word and she was talking to her brother. While I found the initial encounter amusing, the continued rivalry and contention left me oft times wanting to pull my hair out (or knock their heads together...).

Years down the road, with sub- sequent (and older) children, I stumbled upon the idea of making the squabbling siblings "sit on the couch touching". Yes, they had to be sitting close enough to one another that they were in actual physical contact. Somehow this little bit of discipline typically left them laughing rather than fighting. It also taught them that if they didn't want to end up practically one on the lap of the other, they'd best learn to get along.

For more ABC Wednesday fun, click here.

9 comments:

  1. I've said "don't" a lot, unfortunately...
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  2. An inspiring way to settle squabbles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an unusual word choice for D - a verb instead of a noun!
    Happy Wednesday!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your "punishment".
    Yes, I have used that word more than I should have too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! The opposite of the usual "discipline" of separating them. Wish I'd known that when...

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw a picture on some website the other day, where the actually sat the two sibling together and put one BIG shirt on them-each having an armhole. Your method is probably just a good.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an interesting post. In my language we don't say " don' t", but more something like " stop it" or " leave it". But it was all a long time ago. And my daughters deal with their children in a different way, and I am glad that I can enjoy the company of all of them. But " don't" is a good choice!
    Wil, ABCW Team.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so often we tell the kids, don't. The reply why?

    ReplyDelete