Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Crossroads

There are crossroads in everybody's life and I have come upon another in mine. It's probably no secret that I am tired. I've been wearing down for a long time now, and it's obvious that something has to change.

Taking care of an aging parent 24/7 is no picnic and I have had the responsibility for almost three years now. Adjusting to Mom's initial arrival took a long time, longer than I had anticipated, but adjusting has been far from a one time occurrence. Adjusting happens daily, and it happens for Mom too.

I was already feeling the strain in the weeks prior to Mom's fall on Sunday evening, but actually seeing her struggle to walk (with nothing broken or displaced) has brought to the surface the need to be not only better prepared for a real emergency, but to find someone I trust who can come in and stay with her at times when we are unable to be here. God has an interesting way of answering prayer, even prayers that I can scarcely recall praying. Or maybe He is answering someone else's prayer on my behalf... I believe the answer to my need for help may have been sitting right here in my living room when Mom took her fall. "K" has already worked as a caretaker for the elderly, and has papers to prove her qualifications with Alzheimer's patients. She is someone I know and trust, and had already offered to help before Rachel called to tell us of the accident.

8 comments:

  1. Awwww Martha...is that your cute little face in that picture?
    So tired...reminds me how my own sweet Miss V rubs her eyes, to tell us she needs a nap..
    Everything will fall into place...I feel it...

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is me. It was bedtime, probably after a long summer day of playing outside. Look at the bruised up shins. :)

      Delete
  2. You haven't changed a bit, still so cute, and always sleepy,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you had a checkup recently? Ever had your thyroid tested? Heard that a deficiency can cause fatigue; probably along with thousands of other things, like life, in general.

    Sounds like you need a vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not had a checkup up in years, but I'm pretty sure my fatigue in from mental exhaustion, aka life in general. It's about to slow down a bit with the advent of school so maybe I'll be able to catch up a bit.

      My vacation starts next Friday! Can't wait!!! :)

      Delete
  4. Martha, I've had the same thought before, wondering if you've had your thyroid levels tested. (more than once, as they can vary as the thyroid tries to compensate, then it can go back up, then down,...) Around here they have Health Fairs a couple of times a year, where you can have complete lab work done VERY reasonably. Maybe that would be an option for you.
    Last year (the year of two weddings) I thought it was just life/stress wearing me down, but it was actually thyroid troubles.

    ReplyDelete