Sunday, June 30, 2013

Heads Up!

I sat on the deck looking at my red and black toenails trying to decide whether or not I dared make them into ladybugs. A cup of French vanilla cappuccino stood waiting nearby. Around me was my family; chatting, swimming, blowing bubbles, eating, and taking pictures. It had been a lovely afternoon to celebrate my nephew's high school graduation. The rain of the morning was past and the afternoon sun had completed the day perfectly.

Out in the yard was a lone Frisbee player. "Are you playing Frisbee by yourself?" called his father. The Frisbee player looked toward the rest of the group, smiled, and gently tossed the disc in our direction. I watched as it sailed toward my sister and me. It sloped slightly upward in the space between us just before making it's descent back toward the thrower. I raised my cup of coffee to my mouth, closed my eyes, and took a sip.  

WHAP! I felt the Frisbee strike the center of my forehead and felt myself jump just as a warm beard and mustache coffee sensation covered my face and sloshed from my chin to my clothing below. I heard laughter as I wiped the warm, sticky liquid from my face. The Frisbee player, though laughing with the rest of us, was all apologies.

I wasn't hurt at all. The Frisbee didn't hit me hard, it was really just a gentle, albeit unexpected, tap on the head. My coffee, cooled from hot-hot to lukewarm, had not scalded my face or body, and I was wearing green, not white. I called for the clean-up crew, and once my face had been wiped clean, dug a fresh shirt out of my backpack. (Yes, even grownups should carry an extra set of clothing.)

Rachel stood nearby to record the moment for posterity, I suppose much to the dismay of the Frisbee player.

6 comments:

  1. Lol, couldn't help but laugh at this post. It was a fun day, even if some of the laughter was at your expense. Love ya Marty!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And see? I was kind enough not to embarrass Mr. Frisbee by calling his name. :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I'm sure it was! Kind of wish I could have seen it myself.

      Delete
  3. Oh that was a great story, and so glad you are one that will roll with the punch! You are a sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm much better at rolling with the punches now than I was years ago. (I still don't do well with freezing cold water...)

      Delete