Saturday, June 08, 2013

That Jazz of Mine

I guess saying goodbye to pets doesn't get easier with practice. We've been through this multiple times, and though I try my best, it always brings me to tears. Jasmine's blood work came back bad, very bad. Her liver enzymes tested 100 times what is considered normal. The diagnosis is Hepatocutaneous Syndrome.

Although well behaved, Jazz has been in obvious stress and dis- comfort for some time now, at least obvious to us. Her high pain tolerance masks her symptoms to those who aren't familiar with her normal ways. What looks like a happy, normal dog at the vet's office, is actually a dog in much pain. A normal vet visit would have her tugging, pulling, whining, barking, and being otherwise absolutely obnoxious. I've always dreaded taking my normally well behaved dog to the vet.

Today we were faced with the decision we knew was probably coming. Rather than tough out the weekend, we decided not to make our dog suffer any longer with an incurable liver disease. We called the animal shelter where we got her twelve years ago and re-surrendered her. Neither one of us really wanted to go back to the woman vet who insists on treating our dog like a child, and we really can't afford more tests and treatments for a dog who is old, sick, and going to die no matter what kind of treatment she receives. She was a good dog, a great orchard companion, and although not altogether faithful, a fun dog to have around, when she wasn't down at Martin's.

I give you an old picture of happier days and a link back to one of my first blog posts, "Jazz of Mine"

13 comments:

  1. Aw...I'm so sorry. :( I don't do well losing pets, either. Gee, I've really set myself up for something, haven't I?

    I don't remember seeing a photo of Jasmine. What a beautiful dog! That picture is adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jasmine is one of our better looking dogs. Aside from a missing leg and crooked tail, she was pretty much perfect. Well, that and her love for the neighbors.

      *Sigh* You'd think her going to the neighbors for days at a time would make the parting easier...

      Delete
  2. So sorry. She was a nice dog, very affectionate. I'm sad too, but seeing them suffer is awful...been there with Jake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about Jazz...
    It is never easy losing a member of the family...petwise...I mean!

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about Jazz. Labs are the best. It is so hard to lose a member of the family.
    We lost our KC nearly 2 years ago and still miss him.

    If you haven't read it, you should read the book "Dog Heaven" to the kids - it is refreshing to think of them running around and playing as described in the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'll get it for me instead. My own youngest is almost 18 now, but when we lost dogs years ago, we used to write about them or draw pictures to help deal with the sadness. Somehow, when we're sad it helps to imagine them running through a field of long grass on a bright and sunshiney day. Or maybe going for a long orchard walk.

      Delete
  5. I am sorry. That is very sad. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *sigh* It's always the hardest part about loving them.

      Delete
  6. Martha, I am SO sorry about Jazz:-( Sending you hugs, but wish I could do it in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heather. Maybe one day I'll go visit you and collect on that hug.

      Delete