Wednesday, June 12, 2013

My Pink Peonies

A few years back I mentioned to my gardening son, how I once had peonies at our house in town, but every year, just before they bloomed, one of my kids came along with a stick and... SWOOSH!... chopped them down. A few weeks later that same son showed up with two peony plants and a pair of white bleeding hearts. It really touched my momma heart...

Peonies are a funny flower. They bloom each year just before a magnificent rainstorm which never fails to fill the sponge-like flowers full of water and drag them to the ground. This year I had a bit of inspiration from my blog friend, Linda, and decided that I would enjoy my pretty pink peonies much more if I cut a few of those face-down flowers and put them in a vase. (Why do I have this aversion to cutting flowers? Weren't they created to be picked and enjoyed?)

This afternoon I stopped at a friends to leave a small gift and came home with a new baby. I can't remember her real name, but that's okay, I'll think of something... For now she's in the kitchen, resting on the windowsill, growing some roots. I'm going to be on the lookout for something nice for a permanent home.

6 comments:

  1. what a sweet son. :)

    Love the new pink baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey...thanks for the mention!
    I also did a Peony post today...{Betsy is jealous!) That could be a member of the wandering jew family...I mean the new girl...not Betsy!! hahaha!
    I tried googling, but that was all I came up with...almost looks like a dracena also...Love the pink stripes!!
    Now...aren't you glad you snipped a few, and brought them inside?
    They also smell heavenly!

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I snipped a few and brought them inside. It's raining again, the poor things will never be able to keep their heads up!

      And I think the new baby just might be a pink dracena.

      Delete
    2. It is not dracena. It is Rhoeo spathacea or ' Moses in a Cradle'. See? It really is a new baby. :)

      Delete
    3. Great detective work, Martha!!!
      I have never heard of that one before...
      I hope Moses roots for you!!!!

      Delete