Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Very Rainy Day

It was the perfect day for living in an ark. The rain came down in buckets, streets were flooded, and creeks (and the Erie Canal as well) either overflowed their banks or threatened to. Since babies, especially crawling ones, don't do so great with mud and puddles, we stayed inside on this perfectly rainy day, but when the next one comes along, if we don't have babies in the house, I'm going for a Rain-walk.

Because it's Thursday, I give you Thirteen Fun Rainy Day Activities...

1. Walk in puddles- Put on some waterproof shoes, or take them off altogether and get your feet wet! If you need an excuse, find a kid to stomp with.

2. Use an umbrella- Remember how much fun umbrellas were when you were a kid? Find yourself a fun/pretty umbrella and go for a walk.

3. How about a bicycle ride?- Yes, biking in the rain is a little more dangerous, but some of my best summer memories are getting caught in a downpour while out on our bikes. (You might have to remove your helmet for the full effect...)

4. Dance in the rain- Oh, come on! Just try it.

5. Watch it- Watch the rain and relax. Let it wash away the tension as it falls.

6. Listen- I love listening to the rain. Find a tent/canopy or tin roof to sit under and listen to the rain. Cool, huh?

7. Drive through the puddles- I would suggest the puddles not be deeper than the car's engine... and one should probably not drive through too fast, but it is fun to watch the water fly. "Drive through the puddles, Mom!"

Okay, some inside activities...

8. Bake- Rainy days are baking days. They just go together.

9. Read a book- Curl up with a cup of something hot, like coffee, a cozy blanket, a good book and read until your eyes can't stay open.. (Listen to me. Did I curl up and read a book today? Nope. I took a nap.)

10. Movies!- Movies don't necessarily mean taking full enjoyment of the rain, but they do make taking it easy easier. :)

11.Finish a project- If you're anything like me you've got some kind of unfinished project laying around. A rainy day is the perfect time to work on one of them. You know they're fun once you get into them. Admit it!

12.Feed the ducks- Oh wait, that's another outdoor activity, isn't it?

13. Take a nap- You don't have to feel guilty for sleeping on a dark and rainy day, well, unless you're supposed to be working....

What do you do when it rains all day?

And that is my Thursday Thirteen for today. For more of them, click here.


8 comments:

  1. I'm amazed that you thought of thirteen things!!
    I can actually hear thunder right now...
    Kinda scary!
    But..I too...love watching a rain storm...
    Especially when you don't have to go anywhere..
    We had some sun...and then a downpour around 4pm...
    Our pool is about to overflow!!!
    Enjoy the rest of this rainy day!

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was searching for things by the end. haha! Can you tell?
      I like listening to the rain on the roof while I fall asleep.
      I didn't have to go anywhere today, and I had my grandsons along with the two I babysit. Good reasons to stay in where it was dry, aside from sneaking out to snap a picture or two. :)

      Delete
  2. To me, rainy days mean not feeling guilty about staying inside to work on a project! I was all about #11 today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worked on a project yesterday, mostly because the lawn tractor wouldn't work, but I took it outside so I didn't feel guilty. What did you work on?

      Delete
  3. Remember "bubble" umbrellas? Perfect for giggles and talks on a rainy day walk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to think a bot on those "bubble" umbrellas (I never had one of my own as a kid, even a regular one), but I do seem to recall my friends having those. They were almost like going out in a capsule the way they wrapped around, and you looked out through them rather than under them. Fun memories. :)

      Delete
  4. Fun, fun! They all sound fun as long as it's really hot outside. A cold rain...not so much. haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm looking for a warm summer rain, with no thunder and lightening. Cold rain is just... well, cold.

      Delete