Friday, June 14, 2013

A Bit of Sunshine

Today we were blessed with sunshine. I pulled some weeds in one garden, snapped photos in the other, and took the opportunity to 
sit out on the porch for bit this afternoon. It was warm enough to sit out and cool enough for a sweater, at least in the shade. The forecast calls for sunshine again tomorrow. I intend to enjoy the fine weather while it lasts. By the time Monday arrives our temperatures should be feeling more summer-like. The forecast rain should be warm and I think it might be a nice day for my Rain-walk. Time will tell.

This morning I decided to make a pie and use up some of the elderberries in my freezer. I am running low on shortening, but had enough for two pies, which I thought might be good for tomorrow's Sunday school picnic at church. As soon as I got into making the crust, I knew I was really much too tired to make two pies. In fact, I was too tired to make one pie, but since it was already started, I pressed on. The bottom crust was already rolled and in the pan when I started on the filling. Elderberries in the pan, sugar added... I reached into the cupboard for the Minute Tapioca
and knocked a bottle of onion powder out in the process. Of course, it landed in my pie crust, leaving a nice little pile of onion powder right in the center. Not good... I determined to be undeterred, cleaned out the offending substance the best I could, and proceeded with the pie making. I can't tell you yet whether or not the removal was successful as the pie has not yet been sliced. Either way it's not going to the picnic.

School is almost out for the summer. Just two more days for ones I put on and get off the school bus, a week of teacher moms still working, and then we will settle into our summer schedule. My summer "garden" will be comprised of four little girls appearing on various days. I wonder what kind of fun things we will find to do?

Hey! Look at there! Money does grow on trees!



4 comments:

  1. lovely day....laughed at the pie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pie turned out okay in spite of the onion powder. Can't believe all the crazy things that can happen while baking!

      Delete
  2. Your garden looks just like mine, Martha!!!
    Love your Hostas!
    Funny weather at the cottage...limited sun :o(
    Love your yellow Evening Primrose...mine are just blooming here in my back yard!
    Perhaps the onion powder will be your new secret ingredient! ha!

    Enjoy the rest of your evening!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, huh? I just need to spread what I have around a bit.

      Delete