Tuesday, June 18, 2013

W is for Waffles

W is for waffles.

We have been waffling at dinner time lately, never knowing quite what to prepare nor when to eat it, so when Hannah suggested waffles last weekend, it seemed the perfect choice. We searched around for a "from scratch" recipe and began the mixing process, and as the waffles cooked ideas began to blossom.


Plain old waffles with maple syrup are plenty tasty, but when we found a can of whipped cream in the fridge, we knew plain waffles would never do. There were strawberries in the garden and in the kitchen cupboard, a bag of Special Dark chocolate chips. They were good stirred into the batter, sprinkled over the top, or even melted and drizzled over everything. (Grandma missed out and ate hers plain. So very sad.)

The Original Candy Kitchen had almost the same idea the very next day, only they added bananas and made them into Banana Split Waffles. Oh yes! And a scoop of ice cream too! That's what I'm talking about!

And what do you know? I found out I can cook cake batter in my waffle iron too and now that the kids are out of school, I'm planning on trying that real soon. The possibilities are endless! (I could probably even turn this into a Thursday Thirteen!)


 For more ABC Wednesday posts, click here.


24 comments:

  1. They look so delicious Martha! And if you felt you had to have a bit of protein you could do a couple of eggs and bacon - or not! I have to say I like suppers like that occasionally because I get tired of thinking what to have and cooking it.............

    Marilyn from Canada :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waffles are fun, aren't they, especially with a few good slices of bacon on the side. :)

      Delete
  2. My hubby would LOVE this kind of supper. Everything is better with chocolate.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We think so too. A little bit of chocolate goes a long way, especially Special Dark.

      Delete
  3. Gee, I haven't had waffles for ages, - must go and look for the waffle iron, - the perfect answer to supper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to think so. (Glad I could help.)

      Delete
  4. My husband's waffles are a byword in our family. Even our littlest grandchild asks Papa for his 'wapples'. Yours look amazing! I want that banana split one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having bananas on mine next time. And I think I should buy a bottle of Hershey's syrup too.

      Delete
  5. My comment once again...
    YUMMY!!! ha!

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Curse you, Martha! I've had dinner and yet my mouth is WATERING!
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear! Well there's always tomorrow. :)

      Delete
  7. Banana split waffles sound like perfection to me...yumm!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too. In fact, I'm thinking those cake mix waffles might make a wonderful birthday party.

      Delete
  8. Yummy!
    Have a wonderful Wednesday!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  9. yum! We must be on the same wave length! As I was walking through the grocery this afternoon I decided we'd have waffles for dinner tomorrow! I think I have a can of whipped cream and strawberries, too! yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day soon I am going to try cooking something other than waffle mix in y waffle iron. Hannah wants to try cinnamon rolls.

      Delete
  10. I do love waffles -- with lots of butter and syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Waffles are a favorite at our hose, and we like to make a special waffle syrup that consists of 1 stick of butter, 1 cup canned milk, 1 cup of sugar, and 1/2 cup of honey, warmed over low heat. Delicious!
    An Arkies Musings

    ReplyDelete