Wednesday, September 19, 2012

On Becoming a Cuddler

Today I became a Cuddler in the NICU. Somebody's momma wasn't feeling up to par, so Grandma filled in and snuggled the baby for a bit. For an hour and a half I sat in the comfy chair with my grandson in my arms. It was quite possibly a once in a lifetime chance, in fact I don't think I've had the opportunity to hold a baby for that amount of time since my first son was born almost 31 years ago. Too many interruptions come along with second, third, fourth... babies, and now there are all my own babies to share my grandchildren with. It was wonderful to just sit and stare and love the little guy.

You might think the only thing in my life this past week was a new grandbaby, but we also had my son Jim and his fiance' Michele here for the weekend. It was another whirlwind trip for them. They even went down to Watkins Glen on Saturday and enjoyed a bit of the Finger Lakes. They came home with a grape pie! (To go along with the chocolate cheese cupcakes Michele brought from Minnesota. Oh, yum!) We love every moment we are able to spend with them and it feels like Michele has always been part of the family. They didn't get to hold the baby this time, but they did get to visit. Next time they will have another bouncing bundle to play with. How fun!

8 comments:

  1. What sweet family time. And you entended visit with Jacob..he won't forget that, it's been implanted in his little heart and brain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw...he's looking good! I'm sure the hour was most precious. I'm sure you'll all be glad when he can finally come home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be wonderful when everyone is home where they should be. Little Jacob is the giant in the NICU as he is surrounded by preemies.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for being a cuddler today. Jake and I appreciated it! I can't wait for Christmas time and a chance to share my boys with Uncle Jim and Michele again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved my cuddler opportunity. I don't want to see you sick, and I hate when you have to stay away from your baby, but I did love the chance to snuggle him with no interruptions. (It was almost like holding a newborn Ben all over again.)

      Delete
  4. There is NOTHING like cuddling a baby :-)I love the smell of them and their fuzzy little heads. I am sorry to hear that your daughter isn't well though and pray that she is on the mend already.

    Marilyn from Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bethany is feeling much better today. Jake doesn't need a stand-by cuddler today. :)
      We are keeping his big brother for the day instead.

      Delete