Saturday, September 22, 2012

Today

The day started dark and overcast, with pouring rain. I closed my eyes and wished for sleep's return. This happens on rainy mornings, especially when there is no reason to climb out of bed other than my cognizance of daylight, or what should be daylight. Light sprinkles blew in the open window on my cheeks and I snuggled deeper into the pillow and pulled up the covers.

The sky remained hidden behind a veil of cloud when Hannah and I finally headed out for the morning, but the rain, for the most part, did not return. We made a visit to the Webster Farmer's Market where folks from the country (where we live) gather to sell their goods. We picked up half a gallon of maple syrup, some sweet potatoes, and six ears of corn that I could have purchased down the street and around the corner.
 After some meaning- less chitchat with the vendors, and the realization that there were no chile peppers to be found, we headed off to the bank and two grocery stores. The kitchen cabinets and refrigerator are full once again.

The afternoon sky gave no hint of this morning's dreary attitude and a warm sun beckoned me out to the orchard. I was about to take a walk when the phone rang and I changed the order of my plans. Instead of hiking into the back forty, I took a short drive to meet a friend's new baby. Sweet little girl with a head full of dark hair. She came into this world on Monday and left the hospital before I managed to get back there Wednesday morning.

My venture into the orchard came late this afternoon complete with two cats for company. We didn't go far, just back to where some of the ancient trees remain, the ones I love. Old and gnarled into contorted positions, their bent toward nostalgia brings back days now long gone. They are the few still standing in the midst of new dwarf varieties grotesquely carrying loads that leave them broken.

I snapped a few pictures and headed back toward the house, my cats meowing as the followed behind.

2 comments:

  1. I love sleeping late on mornings like that!

    Those apple trees are so full of fruit! I've heard the more you prune them, the more fruit they bear...and your photos certainly prove that! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For all the talk of lost apple crops, Mr. Fox's orchard is looking mighty fine.

      Delete