Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Baby Story

For those who didn't get the whole story, I am repeating it here. It will give me a place to send friends and family who are asking what happened.

Bethany's baby was born five days late early Tuesday morning. He weighed a whopping 10 pounds 2 ounces, and was 22 1/4 inches long. They named him Jacob Alfred. Alfred was my father's name and Bethany wanted to name him after her grandpa's, so, after months of referring to her little one as "Fred", I guess the name will stick after all, at least some of the time. :)

Soon after his birth, the baby started having trouble breathing and developed fluid in his lungs. Our little guy has Group B Strep and it turned into Meningitis. He is in the N.I.C.U. at Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester where he was transferred early Wednesday morning. It is the best place for him to be. Beth is at Strong too, but will be going home tomorrow (Friday). Thankfully, the staff at Highland Hospital caught the infection early as he was already in the Special Care Nursery due to his traumatic birth. His shoulders got stuck during the birth process. Since he was under some stress from that, the staff was keeping a closer eye on him. When he started having trouble breathing, they put him on antibiotics right away.

Little Jacob is looking good now and resting comfortably. He's had 2 blood transfusions and will be on IV antibiotics for a total of 14 days. Mom and Dad are now able to hold him, and that is healing too, for all of them. We are counting our blessings (literally) and thanking God for His hand in all of this.

 Beth and Adam will be making many trips to the hospital for the next couple of weeks. I'm not yet certain what kind of help they need, but it is likely that Hannah will spend a bit of time at the house helping out next week. I'm also thinking gift cards to area restaurants and coffee shops might be helpful. Beth will need transportation to the hospital while Adam is working, and there is a small boy to consider in all of this too. I know God will cover all of their needs in a wonderful way.

Thank you to everyone for all the prayers and words of encouragement!

10 comments:

  1. So good to get all the details in one place, Martha. How my heart goes out to all of you.

    Wish I was closer and could offer some real help...in the meantime, my thoughts and prayers are being sent to the Father.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wanda, your love and prayers mean the world to all of us. Things are "looking up". It really could have been so much worse.

      Delete
  2. Martha, thank you for sharing more details. So thankful for a watchful eye in the nursery over little Jacob. Thankful his breathing is better now and that things are looking up. We continue to pray. I love the idea of the gift cards for Bethany and Adam. Having someone in the hospital is so expensive when you have to eat many meals out and use more gas. Good ideas for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a mom I can feel helpless too, especially when I have other obligations, but I am here for her and she knows that.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad little Jacob is looking better and responding well to the treatments! Sounds like an exhausting couple of weeks ahead, but soon all will come home and settle in. I'll keep praying, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are relieved too, Betsy, and I am looking forward to the day when everyone is where they are supposed to be. And I can hold the baby, of course.

      Delete
  4. tears are not my forte but this makes my heart lurch. I'm glad he is responding to treatment and God surely had his hand on this.
    hugs to all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judi, this was so totally unexpected, but we know God's hand is in all of it. Our family is making small steps toward healing as a whole and for this I am grateful.

      Delete
  5. So glad that little Jacob is improving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Mitzi. I want so much to hold him in my arms and kiss his soft baby head.

      Delete