Monday, September 17, 2012

Moving Toward the Goal

Grandmas and Grandpas are finally able to hold the baby. Let me tell you, there is something really special about that.

On our way into the hospital yesterday afternoon, we ran into Adam's parents and brother coming out. I'm thinking they looked much more relaxed than they had the previous time we saw them. "He's a normal baby today." his grandpa said, and he was right. The little guy had far fewer tubes and wires, and what he did have were all gathered into one bunch sneaking up through the bottom of the blanket to his tummy. (No, I did not unwrap him to have a peek.)

We are blessed to see little Jake on his way to a full recovery. It will still be another long week in the hospital, and his mom and dad are already tired. Prayerfully, a meal schedule will fill up, friends will offer rides, and a gift card or two for coffee at Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks will miraculously appear. Josh is coming to play with Uncle Jim and Aunt Michele for a while before they fly back to Minnesota, and Hannah will spend the night tonight so she can be at the house with him tomorrow. Somehow it will all work out.

Hannah, bless her heart, took pictures for us at the hospital yesterday. Aunts and uncles have not yet been given the okay to hold the little guy, but she is in love all over again anyway. I can see it in her eyes. Maybe next time she goes to visit we will be able to take a picture of her holding him too.

We are blessed by every move of progress.

10 comments:

  1. This process is so so special, and I'm loving the pictures. Please email me Bethany's address as I'd like to send a gift card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear...
    One day at a time...

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Linda, one day at a time and soon he will be home where he belongs. :)

      Delete
  3. Now he is one adorable baby - but you know that already. I love those cheeks! It is just so wonderful he is doing and so well. It is exhausting for the parents though.......I used to cuddle the little babies in the NICU - did it for 13 years and absolutely loved it.

    Marilyn from Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marilyn.

      I have always wondered about those NICU programs where volunteers hold babies. I think I would like to do that too. They don't have that program at Strong though, so I'm glad Bethany is able to be there.

      Delete
    2. They do have "Cuddlers" who are there to cuddle babies. I'm not sure if they only cuddle some or all of the babies... I see one or two of them a day, here and there. It must be an awful sweet thing to be able to do.

      Delete
    3. Today I will fulfill my dream of becoming a Cuddler in the NICU at Strong. :)

      Delete