Saturday, September 15, 2012

My Hair Is Blond, Naturally

While out perusing garage sales this morning, I ran into an acquain- tance. I know her from the local preschool and she is also a pedia- trician here in town. She was out enjoying the sales too and we stopped to chat for a minute. "How is the baby?" she inquired. My mind did a little spin while I tried to determine how she would have known about the whole thing, but we live in a small town and news travels fast sometimes.

I told her the story and said he was looking much better now. The meningitis is gone, he'll still be in for a total of 14 days, and several other little things I can't remember. She listened and mentioned that she had kind of gotten the information "through the grape vine". Unlike my usual manner of not being a question asker, I asked which grape vine. "I got the transfer orders when they were moved to Strong," she said. My slow little brain continued to try and process what she was saying, but the lack of sleep and abundance of excitement this week prevented me putting the pieces together. She went on down the road one way, and I continued my treasure hunt in the opposite direction.

It wasn't until later when I had been home for a bit that I recalled Bethany switching Joshua's doctor this past winter and realized the baby would also be a patient in that group of pediatricians, the same group my friend was part of. When I talked to Bethany this afternoon I found myself feeling rather silly because this woman is the baby's pediatrician, which is precisely why she had a copy of the transfer order. (Does anyone else ever look in the mirror and say "duh!"?)

While wandering the sales, I found a cute book for Beth and her new little darling. It seems just yesterday she and her friends were singing this old song just for the fun of it. I thought she might enjoy singing it to her baby too, although I'm not sure about the "feather in my arms" part.

13 comments:

  1. HaHa, I do have those moments, Martha more often that I like to admit.

    But loved the story of how put it all together for the doctor, hospital and all that is happening in your family right now.

    Sending Love and Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is turning out to be a very nice story after all.

      Delete
  2. haha...oh, it wasn't the blonde hair...it was lack of sleep, I'm sure of it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it was, Betsy, and I am working on that, that and my fluid intake.

      Delete
  3. Don't feel bad - a friend of mine walked into a ladies washroom and saw someone who looked familiar (she didn't have her glasses on) and started chatting to this person and after a minute realized it was her - in the full length mirror at the end of the room!!!!!!!!Bahahahhaha!!!! We screamed with laughter when she told me.

    I am so glad to hear baby Fred is coming along. What a dreadful scare for you all.

    Marilyn from Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilyn, that is too funny. I saw myself in a full length mirror as I went around a corner in a dimly lit apartment where I was babysitting as a teenager. For a split second I thought someone else was in the room and jumped, nearly out of my skin. :)

      Delete
  4. Marilyn's story reminded me of the time my friend Jill was out for an evening stroll and said hello to a group of mailboxes. She initially thought they were people, haha! I guess when we're really overtired our brains don't function quite the way they should...scary when you think that Drs in residency often work very long hours with very little sleep. :\

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Rachel, at least Dr. Hellmann was looking good and she was very gracious, although she probably didn't know quite how confused I was.

      My silliest moment was kissing my knee once during a family picnic. For second I thought there was a baby sitting on my lap. I was probably sleep deprived then too. Haha!

      Delete
    2. I would have loved to see that, haha!

      Delete
    3. You were probably there. So sorry you missed it. ;)

      Delete
  5. When there is too much craziness in your life, you just cannot be held accountable for mental errors. Believe me, I have been there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe you, Kristen. I suppose even brunettes go blond in some situations. :)

      I hope things are going better at your house and the Good Man is recovering.

      Delete
  6. This book is one of Zade's favorites! And I am sure I have made worse blunders, but my mind is too cluttered to even think of them.

    ReplyDelete