Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Z is for Zanzibar

Z is for Zanzibar. (I feel like I am running out of options... )

Technically Zanzibar is a "semi-autonomous part of Tanzania in East Africa," but I am thinking of a different Zanzibar. This particular Zanzibar comes in a long list of names in one of Dr. Seuss' stories. Since I happen to be somewhat of a Dr. Seuss fan, I give you the story of "Too Many Daves."


Too Many Daves
by
Dr. Seuss (Theodore Geisel)
 

Did I ever tell you that Mrs. McCave
Had twenty-three sons and she named them all Dave?
Well, she did. And that wasn’t a smart thing to do.
You see, when she wants one and calls out, “Yoo-Hoo!
Come into the house, Dave!” she doesn’t get one.
All twenty-three Daves of hers come on the run!
This makes things quite difficult at the McCaves’
As you can imagine, with so many Daves.
And often she wishes that, when they were born,
She had named one of them Bodkin Van Horn
And one of them Hoos-Foos. And one of them Snimm.
And one of them Hot-Shot. And one Sunny Jim.
And one of them Shadrack. And one of them Blinkey.
And one of them Stuffy. And one of them Stinkey.
Another one Putt-Putt. Another one Moon Face.
Another one Marvin O’Gravel Balloon Face.
And one of them Ziggy. And one Soggy Muff.
One Buffalo Bill. And one Biffalo Buff.
And one of them Sneepy. And one Weepy Weed.
And one Paris Garters. And one Harris Tweed.
And one of them Sir Michael Carmichael Zutt
And one of them Oliver Boliver Butt
And one of them Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate …
But she didn’t do it. And now it’s too late.


Perhaps I just like the way Zanzibar rolls off my tongue... or maybe I just like the story in general.

For more ABC Wednesday fun, click here.

9 comments:

  1. My kids love Dr. Seuss.

    Zucchini
    Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was so fun! I've never heard it before.

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm old enough to remember BOTH versions of Zanzibar.
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always loved Dr. Suess. I had a friend once who didn't let her kids read his books because they were so silly! Probably that is my favorite thing about them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could just hear you reading it to us...love it.

    Signed... Dave HaHa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh thank you for my giggle today.
    I have never heard that one before but it really is Dr. Suess at his finest.
    The famous boxer George Foreman actually named his sons all George. I think there are at least 5. So I guess its not too far fetched after all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This made me think of George Foreman's sons too.

    I love Dr Seuss books. I wish I had this one when the kids were little.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A funny poem from Dr. Seuss! Love it

    ReplyDelete