Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Opening Gifts

After three weeks of "vacation" I am attempting to get back into the groove. Although I have not stopped counting gifts along the way, I am finding it especially important this week to remember all the little ways God shows His love for me.

* Our first morning at the B&B the Lord left two gifts on our front door. We discovered them on our way out to breakfast; a beautiful bright green Luna moth and a giant silk moth (I thought it was a Cecropia but it wasn't...), one on either side of the door. The Luna moth was up against the window which made it visible from inside, and slowed us down enough to discover the Polyphemus moth on the opposite side of the entry.

* I am grateful for the discovery of Garrett Chapel nestled on the side of a hill above Keuka Lake. My sister attended a wedding there two years ago. My camera battery ran out while were there, but I still managed to get a few nice pictures.


* I am thankful for the Finger Lakes and blessed to live in such close proximity. They are part of many endearing childhood (and adult) memories from camping trips, weekend rides, and boating with my parents to many July 4th picnics with my Uncle Chuck and day trips with James. This trip adds antiquing, fishing, rest and relaxation. Now I have new memories, ones that will carry me through the summer and into the fall.

* Yesterday I went down to the basement to see what kind of meat was left in the freezer and discovered the hotdogs were completely thawed along with a blueberry pie, which I put my fingers into, a corned beef brisket, and a dozen bags of green chile. My chicken was partially thawed. I hauled it all upstairs and had James assess the situation. It turns out the freezer was inadvertently unplugged. I am thankful God saw fit to have me look yesterday instead of waiting another couple of weeks. Rather than an ugly stench of rotting meat, we had the aroma of blueberry pie. :)

* I am incredibly grateful, in spite of non-stop questions and precocious ways, for the little girls who visit me each week while their parents work. I am humbled to be entrusted with the care of these precious children  and pray I do the job God has called me to in a way that honors Him. Today I was not most patient after one small child tore up our favorite "Go, Dog, Go" book while she was supposed to be taking a nap, but books are replaceable, aren't they? Besides, I'm pretty sure I have another copy somewhere in my closet.

* I am also blessed that my little grandchildren have another set of grandparents to love them. There is an incredible pain in being told one's own son does not want you at his daughter's first birthday party, especially when she is our only granddaughter. We have already missed most of the last six months. There is pain, yes, but I am thankful for the pain as it works its way in me.

3 comments:

  1. A very nice list. Those moths are incredible! Blueberry pie caught in the nick of time. And faith and hope that God will melt your son's heart in his own best time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those moths! Lucky you to see them!

    Sorry your heart hurts though. God in His infinite goodness will give you what it takes to get through this painful time. Not saying that as a cliché, I really believe that!(((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martha, God has been incredibly good. He told me at Christmas that this would be long term. I don't hear Him speak like that often, but I know He did then. He is in control and loves my son, daughter in law and grandkids more than I ever could. I believe He will give us the strength to get through this too.

    Thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete