Wednesday, November 16, 2011

My New Mittens

I decided to embark on a new project, not that I've finished any of the old ones or anything...

It looked like a fairly easy project involving a thrift store sweater and a little bit of sewing. I searched the racks of sweaters at Goodwill and came home with three wool sweaters. They needed to be felted before I could turn them into mittens. I threw them into the washing machine, set the water temperature to hot, and waited for the machine to do its work. Next they went into the dryer on the hottest setting, and when they came out they were ten sizes smaller!

With the easy part of the project finished, the one where I could hardly fail, I set the sweaters aside, ... for a couple weeks. Yesterday, after tracing my hand to make a pattern, I pulled my old sewing machine out of its suitcase home and put it to work.

Not too bad for a first try. They're thick, warm, and pure Italian wool with a nice synthetic black cuff.  I think I'll keep them.

I have two sweaters left. One is gray and will have to be made into rather smallish mittens. It has some great sleeves that I imagine as the legs to some really cool baby leggings. The other is a beautiful green and red Christmas sweater with silver hooks down the front. I'm not sure I can bring myself to cut it up. It really looks like it needs a red satin liner and a little girl to wear it.

8 comments:

  1. "I set the sweaters aside, ... for a couple weeks."
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! I love how they turned out. I might have to try it...although, I don't have a sewing machine that is currently working! Wahhhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is cool. What a good idea to use an old sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  4. see,mom was right! post haste makes waste. :) that's how I explain procrastination. proud of you I am!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stacy, I have projects that have been set aside for decades. Can anyone say embroidery?

    Priscilla, isn't there still a sewing machine at Mom's house? You need to come over and help me with this pajama pant pattern I've had for two or three years. :P

    Lori, it was a fun project. I could have a whole collection by next Christmas. :)

    Judi, I am a master procrastinator if I so choose. (Did Mom really say that?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a clever way to use those old wool sweaters. It reminds me of an episode in collage when I accidently washed my favorite wool skirt in a load of laundry. It came out so small it put it on the Teddy Bear on my bed....my roommates got such a kick out of that... I still miss that skirt!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so impressed!! Your mittens are fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wanda, there is nothing much sadder than having one's favorite clothing accidentally shrunk to teddy bear size. :(

    Heather, you are too sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete