Sunday, November 27, 2011

Stepping Backward

Frantically clawing to keep from falling in, I fight to escape the pit of holiday madness... There will be gifts to buy or make, presents to wrap and cookies to bake, and those favorite movies to watch.

I took a ride by myself Friday morning, but not necessarily Christmas shopping. There was no Black Friday rush where I went. I poked my way through Goodwill and took a leisurely walk through an antique shop. I bought little to nothing, at least in those two places. We won't talk about the grocery store...

In the antique store I found myself strangely drawn to old children's books and an intense desire to curl up in a corner and lose myself in a book. I resisted the urge to purchase this time... Do I really have time to abandon my house and family to read?

Upstairs I found myself smiling at vintage pull toys and wondering again how hard it would be to duplicate them. It's the old Fisher Price toys that always catch my eye. We never owned a chicken pull toy, in fact, I'm not sure I'd ever seen one before, yet they make me smile. (I truly am a hopeless case.)


Then there were the dishes. Lest you think I have suddenly matured, I will have to confess that almost every "little" girl loves a tea party and a fancy table. They are fun to look at and probably even more fun if the tea party actually becomes a reality.

I'm not certain what draws me to antique stores. They are expensive, smell musty, and are full of old things I don't need, yet I wander about taking in the sights and feeling comfortably nostalgic in the process. I like antiques. They take me back to safer childhood days, visits to grandma's house, and days spent on the farm, usually Uncle Joe's.  Hey, I've got a table almost just like that in my kitchen!

9 comments:

  1. I used to love antique stores. I never bought anything. I just loved to peek around. Never saw a chicken pull toy, however. You know where to shop, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was more like wandering. I also like to wander through Hobby Lobby, especially if I'm feeling stressed. I don't need to buy, just walk and listen to the music. Okay, so maybe I do buy... sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like that table. It reminds me of Grandpa. Strange how that table reminded me of Grandpa and yet yours doesn't. Maybe I just have Grandpa on my mind today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds wonderfully relaxing to me! I love to do those things, too. That chicken pull toy is so cute!

    I really want to spread out the holiday tasks and not feel a crunch at the end. I hate that. But that means that I must start immediately..or at least bake one kind of cookie very soon! ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Betsy, there is just something about Thanksgiving that makes one know the crunch is upon us, though I think I'm doing a little better this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the bah humbug virus.
    I don't want to play this year. I just want to curl up in the corner and read a book. Hot tea no coffee.
    Call me when it's over.
    But alas, the "family" expects Gmj to step up to the plate and do the smiley happy face. It's going to take collar stays to keep the smile on. (A fun thing to look for at antique markets.) the stays Mart, not the smile. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mom!!! :D There, now you have it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the chicken pull toy! I love the same sort of stores that you do. My family does not understand me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Judi, now I have learned something new. I was not familiar with collar stays. I still owe you something handmade. Maybe that will bring you a smile...

    Thanks, Hannie!

    Priscilla, we are cut from the same cloth. :)

    ReplyDelete