Monday, November 14, 2011

Being Responsible

Caring for an aging parent is full of  guesswork. Being responsible for the health and well being of one who isn't quite who they used to be is stressful. She's not quite a child and yet not the mom I once knew. I am still the child in her eyes, and yet I must be the adult. I must take the reins.

Matches... We use them to light the wood stove, keep them for candles, and occasionally use them in the lavatory. It has become apparent that they must not be left where Mom can get them. They must be kept out of sight. Blah. A new stress. She tried to light a candle and dropped the burning match two or three times. I was watching. Now I know there is a new danger and I find it frightening.

I pray my sisters will understand when I don't always treat Mom like an adult. I pray that I will respond properly as situations arise, even though I fail a thousand times. I pray that God will give me the strength I need to finish the task before me, the wisdom to make wise choices, and grace to accept His forgiveness when I fail repeatedly and to forgive myself as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment