Thursday, November 17, 2011

Thrifty Thinking

I had a free afternoon. I probably should have taken a nap, but Hannah and I went out to the thrift stores instead. Sometimes it's fun to look and on rare occasions we find something good.

A couple weeks ago I knocked a lamp off the end table. It had once been a thrift store find, and though the lamp itself was pretty, I had purchased the wrong type of shade which always sat at an angle. I've meant to replace the light, but kept forgetting when I was out.

I glanced around Goodwill today, but nothing caught my attention. (Truthfully, they were all hideous...)  Since we weren't in a hurry, we decided to stop at the Volunteers of America store. Although the day was cold, the weather was dry and there were a few items strategically placed outside the store; two small desks, a rocking chair, a lamp or two and several other things. One lamp grabbed my attention right away. I checked the price, $12.99. It seemed pretty fair to me, so I scooped up the treasure and headed inside.

I think it looks rather nice on the end table.

7 comments:

  1. I think a good deal always makes me smile as much as the product I bought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you got a good deal! It looks really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh! Nice! And it looks perfect there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Martha...you have a good eye! I love the way that lamp looks on your table.

    I found the raincoat I've been looking for yesterday. $6.99. Will model it one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This lamp is similar to my mother's treasured yellow lamp. Similar to a converted oil lamp, but made to be electric. Funny thing is we've been looking at them online because we have an old kerosene lamp that need a glass chimney and shade.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it. It reminds me of the yellow one we had in our house when we were kids. I think you had it on your blog recently. Oh...I just realized that your last comment mentions it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just going to say the same thing as Priscilla, it looks somewhat familiar. I like it!

    ReplyDelete