Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Death By Banana Bread

R is for Retrieve and Revive. (This was not originally intended as and ABC Wednesday post, but I think it works nicely. We could call it "recycled.")

Four nicely spotted bananas sat on the counter, waiting to be made into banana bread. Today was the day. (Actually, it was yesterday...) With supplies and ingredients at hand, the task was begun. Sugar and shortening had been creamed, eggs and milk stirred in, when the phone rang. I left the partially mixed batter in the kitchen and stepped outside to talk.

Still on the phone, I returned to the house and stood before the waiting assemblage, when out of the corner of my not-so good eye, I saw something move on my left fingertip which was rather close to my face. Instinctively, I shook my hand. Was it gone? I returned my hand to its former position. No, it was still there. I shook my hand again, not even sure what it tiny object was. This time it was gone. I had seen something fly away. I turned off the phone, set it aside, and returned to my baking.

Taking a fork, I proceeded to mash the two bananas before me. Something small and dark appeared in the bowl. What could it be...? I took up my glasses to identify this foreign object, and there she was, a tiny red ladybug, slathered in mashed banana. She struggled to move, her little legs wiggling. Moved with ladybug compassion, I turned on the water faucet to see if I could rinse away some of the offending substance without killing her. I found it quite difficult to bathe a ladybug. When she stopped moving, I feared the worst.

Not wanting to manhandle her any more than I already had, I dumped the now still creature into a small potted plant on the window sill. An hour or so later she remained, silent and upside down, her underside covered with banana. I went on with my chores.

Two batches of banana bread came and went from the oven, children napped and went home, supper was served and dishes were washed and put away. Late in the evening I glanced into the small pot in search of my little friend but she was gone. Oh wait, there she was! Crawling up the window screen.

Anybody for some coffee and a slice of Ladybug Bread? Er, I mean, banana Bread?


To see the other participants in the new round of 
ABC Wednesday, click here!

24 comments:

  1. Martha.
    You need help.
    My house is crawling with ladybugs. Well, I have been told they are not really lady bugs. They are some lady bug mimicking insect. As if it matters, right? They LOOK like lady bugs. Anyway - we throw out a few every day. Throw them out? Yes - they are sluggish. We just move them to the garbage can. There is plenty to eat in there and they get to move to the landfill on Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness!! Glad it was a happy ending for the ladybug:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, if I were to go...by banana bread would be an excellent way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacy, I scarcely think one ladybug necessitates an exterminator... Anyway, I don't see anymore at the moment.

    Heather, I'm pretty sure I saw her smile.

    Annie, I guess Death By Banana Bread comes in close behind chocolate, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. (Or was she saying I need help because of my giving the ladybug a bath?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great story. I'm glad the ladybug survived!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As we all know, bathing a ladybug can be difficult... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Death by CHOCOLATE CAKE...even better!!! Well, now I know how I'm going.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was so disappointed when I read that a sweet little lady bug had gotten caught in your mashed banana, but was relieved to find that a nice bath and rest made him all better. That was a close call!

    ReplyDelete
  10. we're happy it wasn't INSECTICIDE! We would have had to call the bug police on you.
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL Martha! LOL
    You don't need an exterminator. But I still contend you need help! ;)
    too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lori, I was glad too. Not too much a good bath and a good sleep can't cure, except maybe death.

    Berowne, it was very difficult, and she didn't help much either.

    Annie, when you come to visit, there will be chocolate cake, but not because I'm trying to get rid of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rachel, it was very close. Without my glasses I don't see well close up. I initially thought it was a banana "tail" but it was a little too dark.

    Roger, that's a good one!

    Stacy, you're right. I could use a little help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Delightful story and I can just see you giving the ladybug a bath...the visuals are wonderful.
    I'l bet the banana bread was equally so.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha. It just wasn't her time yet! Those ladybugs are everywhere this time of year! I have two ripe bananas sitting on my counter...tomorrow they will be bread!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that lady bug!

    My R is about Raking Leaves, please come and see.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sweet tale! Glad this was 'recycled' and 'revisited'.
    My post is about remodeling - I remodeled my blog but I am still not thrilled with it. I love how yours looks. How did you get the art? Did you supply it or it is at blogspot? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad the little bug survived. Maybe she was in shock after her bath, but revived after a rest. She had to get home to her little ones at home, I guess.

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  19. As an amateur entomologist I've done a lot of strange things but I don't recall ever bathing a ladybird. A great Rescue!

    ReplyDelete
  20. A few years ago I made a stir fry for dinner. While we were seated at the table, Audra discovered a poor stir-fried soul in amongst the vegetables and pork on her plate. It was even lightly toasted on one side. Yes...it was a stir-fried ladybug.

    My kids still remind me about that from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This has been a fun post. I'm glad I decided to use it instead of my original roller coaster one.

    Meryl, I found my blog background this spring at shabbyblogs.com.

    Priscilla, that is too funny, tho not for the poor ladybug. I'm rather glad we did not find her baked into the bread.

    ReplyDelete
  22. 22 comments about a ladybug?
    We all need help!!! ;)

    I have some kids you could come bathe! =) They'd love a dip in bread dough!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Stacy, being part of ABC Wednesday is a great help when collecting comments, that and friends who like to converse. (::)<

    ReplyDelete