Friday, October 05, 2007

A Lingering Summer

It feels almost like summer today except for the fact that it isn't really. It's one of those days where I would like to escape to "who knows where", relax, and just enjoy the gorgeous weather. Although an escape sounds wonderful, I have no idea where I would go or who would be able and willing to go with me. I really enjoy getting away with a friend rather than alone. In years past I would pack my little kids into the car and take off for an afternoon at the farm markets. There are hay mazes, pumpkin patches, cider and fried cakes, and farm animals to enjoy. Now my kids have nearly outgrown that tradition. Maybe I'll have to take Troy out one day next week.

I'm really feeling lost and unsure what to do at this point in my life. It feels as though everything is rushing past and I am not quite quick enough to catch the moments before they are gone. I catch some but so many others just slip by... Maybe I am just passing from one phase of life into the next and feeling somewhat alone in it. Of course, I'm not really alone, just not sure which way to turn. I suppose this is the time of life when women look back and say, "Hmmm... what have I done with my life and what can I get accomplished before I'm too old to do anything?" A midlife crisis of sorts... Kind of like trying to reach the water's surface before taking that deep breath you so desparately need... Oh well, tomorrow is another day and right now it's time to bake some apple crisp. And maybe when the girls get off the bus we'll take an orchard walk. That could be worth doing, don'tcha think?

11 comments:

  1. Humm, This is sorta the way I feel first thing when I wake up in the morning, not all mornings but more than I like. What to do, what to do? It's not like I don't have anything to do, but what would I really enjoy doing? On those days it seems my "spark" is turned off. Feet on the floor and one foot in front of the other until it is bedtime. Is it "The Changing Season"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not the "Changing Season" yet. It's what is changing "around" me, not so much within. (I think...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been feeling the same way... Started around my b-day this year. *sigh* After all those jokes about planning for my midlife crisis.... This was NOT in my plan!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with you, Martha. I have found this to be a very odd time of life. Kids growing up and leaving and things are just so different. I am not sure what to make of it, either. If I figure it out, I will let you and Shelly both know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Martha, it's a road all of us that are over 60 have traveled. I remember those feelings and many times, I did just what you did, baked a pie, picked up the kids, kissed my husband, and kept going! I found my way...you will too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe it is just a stage of life. I don't have a child that has just left the state to make me feel that way but I could understand all to well what you were saying. I guess Wanda is right, we will get through but it is an uncomfortable place to be. I just want to figure it all out but don't seem to be able to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! Not that "Changing Season"!! I was refering to the outside and how it affects the inside. Wanda knows, she has lived thru the "Empty Nest Season."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, it's good to know that I am not so unusual in feeling this way. I don't mind so much my children growing up and my "nest" is far from empty, I just don't like the feeling that I am wandering around and getting no where.

    Thank you, Wanda and Gmj, for letting me know that it's a normal kind of thing. So, I will bake a pie, pick up the kids, kiss my husband, and keep going too.

    Heather, Shelly, and Countrygirl, I guess we just hang on and enjoy the ride as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I've been feeling the same way. Like what is my purpose in life. I have too much liesure time...but yet I shoudl clean my house. I'm having a mid-life crisis of my own. Should I get a job? Or another degree?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good advice...bake a pie, pick up the kids, kiss my husband and keep going. I, too, shall hang on and enjoy the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your new fall colored blog!

    I think your very young still and have so much ahead of you! I guess I'm not at the point of a mid life crisis yet (or shall I say, anymore? Haha), I feel fine with getting older. I do often think about my purpose and the legacy I will leave behind one day though...but I think it's a good thing to think about such things. I love you! Lets keep kissing our husbands and our kids, and go antiquing sometime!

    ReplyDelete