Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Wild Grapes

He dug it up and cleared out its stones, And planted it with the choicest vine. He built a tower in its midst, And also made a wine press in it; So He expected it to bring forth good grapes, But it brought forth wild grapes. Isaiah 5:2

(The picture made me think of this verse.)
While picking apples the other day, we ran into a couple of wild vines climbing through the branches. One was a grape vine with several clusters of small grapes. The grapes are dark and sweet (I tasted one) but nothing I want to try to make into jam. They're just wild. The other vine was a wild rose. I could almost overlook it if it weren't for the stabbing pain it inflicted each time I touched it. I was really just after the apples which are typically very small and misshapen due to bugs. With the very dry summer there were far fewer little pests wreaking havoc in the fruit trees. The apples are still small but they are a far better quality than other years, not near so many dark pits and lines running through the fruit. The trees though are still wild as we have no idea how to tame them.

I put up another 4 quarts of applesauce. Now I have a headache and desperately need a nap but I don't see that happening, at least not the type of nap I need, and we have our kids class at church tonight. At least the story is familiar (Jonah) so maybe we'll be okay.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! What a productive week you are having!!! Sorry 'bout the headaches. YUCK!!!! We have too much experience with headaches....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately my week is feeling anything but productive. We've scorched two big pots of applesauce, I don't want to look at another apple, and I haven't even touched the three laundry baskets full of them. I'm considering digging a big hole in the backyard, dumping them in and covering them up.

    Want some apples? I think they're Empires.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness. Sorry about the apple abundance. I would take a few.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great verse! You know 'your' bible!
    Great photo, too.
    These are the same kind of wild grapes we have, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When are you going to make cider? I'm sure your kids would love to help!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cider party! Bonfire, making cider, laughing with friends and family sounds like fun to me. maybe a potluck lunch too?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh nothing is more discouraging than spending all that time making applesauce and then burning it! It has happened to me and there is no saving it either. You have to throw it all out!

    I'm sorry it happened. Maybe I can come and help...but not until Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete