Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Man

My husband is self employed. For many years he has built cabinets and done remodeling but during the past year has ventured into a new area, milling and stocking his own lumber. Last year he bought a small band mill, cut up several logs, and stacked them away to dry. This year he is beginning to utilize the lumber. I wish I could tell you exactly what he has built with his own stock but I have a difficult time keeping track of what material goes into which job.
We have had a fairly constant supply of logs laying in the back yard and most can not be picked up without the aid of some kind of machinery, hence the New Holland Skid Steer which is occupying a space in the old migrant shck out back. It does a great job of picking up and moving logs and I am told it has a plow to clear the driveway this winter (if it ever gets cold enough to snow).
The idea behind cutting our own wood is take urban and other "throw away" material and make something beautiful or useful of it. It's a picture of redemption. Just as God has redeemed us and saved us from the fire and destruction, we will be taking trees that would otherwise be cut up into firewood and "redeeming" them.

7 comments:

  1. Oh!! Oh!!! Ooooh, I love The New Holland Skid Steer!!! No joke, it is near and dear to my heart. Logging and all that stuff ran in my mothers family. Isn't just beautiful? :) *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. There you go! Some positive outlook on Dad's newest toy! He made our cradle from the wood he cut himself. It's beautiful and soon I will take a picture to show everyone... Maybe with a baby in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great that 'grandpa' made the cradle for the baby!
    Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a new and exciting career. My son is making a career change at 42. He just bought a franchise "Red Brick Pizza", so now he's really going to be in the "dough"!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, what happened to the blog site about redemption wood stuffs? I found that one inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  6. boyz and their toyz..... gotta love them for it. I think that tractor thing is looking cool.

    ReplyDelete