Saturday, October 20, 2007

Sassafrass

It was a good morning for sleeping in. The sky was dark and overcast, and a cool breeze was blowing through the trees outside my bedroom window. It blew hard enough to rustle the leaves and carry the voices of the pickers in the orchard across the street to my ears. My allergies had stuck my eyes shut and my bed was warm and cozy. I wanted to stay there but decided I couldn't be in bed all day and finally hauled myself out and into the bathroom.

I wasn't up long when the phone rang. It was Bethany looking for some company on a forbdden trip to the grocery store. (Doctor's orders- "Take it easy." She has been retaining quite a bit of water and they are watching her blood pressure.) So off we went to the store because, after all, we all need to eat and husbands who are working won't be going grocery shopping. I hope she didn't wear herself out too much. She was headed home to take a nap after dropping me off but somehow I don't think she is sleeping...

13 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Is that a real sassafrass tree? Oh that be very good stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps; Hope Bethany is resting!! Your a good mom to come when called.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a real Sassafrass tree, several actually. Do you know how to make tea?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good girl, Beth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that shot..those leaves are beautiful...we just don't have those colors in CA.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you were able to come to the rescue. Does the sassafrass tree smell good? Is it the bark that you use or the leaves?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Martha, How beautiful this leaves . I love the colours...

    HI!:) ,
    I am back from my short trip to South of Italy, I posted an overview of pictures from my holiday , soon more... Have a great sunday!!!

    Greetings JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is the bark...no?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leaves, its the Leaves!! Phile' Gumbo. Phile' is the ground leaves of Sassafrass and is used to thicken and season the gumbo when they (acadians) don't use okra. The root is used for other medicinal purposes. Tea is made from leaves. Jeeze, I feel just like a little old granny giving herbal advice. Well, and you point would be? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. gmj lied. sassafrass tea is not made from the leaf. It is made from the root. She can't help it/. She is from Oregon! Papa!

    ReplyDelete
  11. he has his own blog now. See my site to get it. listed Papa :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sassafrass has a wonderful smell. I wish I knew how to make tea of it. I have looked online but never tried doing it.

    ReplyDelete