Thursday, October 04, 2007

The Apple of My Eye

This afternoon after lunch Hannah and I took Troy and went to the farm market for a bushel of apples. I like this partcular stand because they sell a bushel of apples for $10. I can buy a whole bushel of one kind or mix the varieties. I usually mix them and then can't tell which is which when I get home. Today I bought 20 Ounce, Jonagolds, and Empire apples. The 20 Ounce are great for baking, the Empires for eating, and the Jonagold for either. We also have some little apples on our own trees. I have no idea what kind they are but they are shaped a little like a Red Delicious. This year they're perfect size for kids to eat.

Since today is Thursday and I haven't yet compiled my list of things I've learned, I'll give you a list of apples instead...

1. 20 Ounce- Great big red/green colored apples great for baking pies.
2. McIntosh- soft little apple that's great to put in lunchboxes.
3. Red Delicious- dark red with a dry flesh, not my favorite
4. Golden Delicious- a yellow apple that tastes much better than Red Delicious
5. Honey Crisp- a very expensive variety
6. Cortland- red and tart
7. Granny Smith- another green apple that is good in pies
8. Rhode Island Greenings- a very green apple that is used for sauce and baking
9. Crispin- Big yellow apples that I like to feed small children during the winter
10. Macoun- nice sweet apple... should've got someof those...
11. Idared- one Dad used to buy
12. Ginger Gold- hard to tell from Golden Delicious
13. Gala- an apple with a happy name, kids like them!

Pass the pies, please!

16 comments:

  1. Granny smith are australian apples! An old (probably not that old!) lady discovered/came across one/accidentally planted a tree in Sydney on her farm, tasted one of the apples, thinking they were taditional baking apples - but was surprised by the sweetness..then planted more and more trees - Her surname was 'Smith' - and she was a granny - hence the name. Her first name was Maria. She is buried at a church just near here. How cool is that!!

    Any baby news yet? I remember you saying October, but I'm not sure when in October. Hope your daughter and grandchild are well...and that you get to meet that grandchild soon, if you haven't already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #6- Also good for baking

    #12- An early variety that is out of season by the time Golden Delicious come out. There are also on eof my favorites. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth- No baby yet! It's still in the cooker, but will be ready to come out soon. I'm due Oct. 28th, so there's a little ways to go, unless he or she decides to come early. Now wouldn't that be fun?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmmm sounds good I like the apple itself , also the pie, and .... the phot , your written text is always awsome, amazing well written:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Martha, so informative. I always wished I would have learned the different apples while I lived in apple country. Maybe I will learn the different blueberries while I am here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather, when you learn the different blueberries, you can come and tell me what kind I have.

    Put all the apples in one bag and I won't know one from another. Okay, I would know the Red Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ruth, I didn't know the Granny Smith story. I don't think too many grow around here, but they are a good apple and I see them in stores everywhere I go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yummm... Usually this time of year I'm in the midst of taking care of apples galore from our tree, but because of the spring freeze we don't have ANY this year. That's okay... I guess a year off is kind of nice, and of course I can buy a few at the store! (plus I still have some frozen for pie filling in the freezer)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the new color. It's very cheerful. I have never heard of many of the apples you listed. NY and MN must have different apples.

    I still love a honeycrisp, even though they cost more. Although, if I were to bake with apples I'd pick a cheaper apple. The honeycrisp was developed at the University of Minnesota in the 1960's.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Martha, I love the new color. Very homey and fallish feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. yes i do like the pumpkin pie color. My favorite use to be the Macintosh, but now I like the Gala. To cook with I like Granny Smith and the McIntosh together. Yumm, now I need to make a pie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so smart, Martha.

    I remember years ago, when my father grafted one type of apple onto another apple tree, and as little kids, we wondered what God thought of messing with his trees. But my Dad assured us, it was OK with God.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bethany - i'll keep praying for you - i hope your mum is going to let all the bloggers know when it all happens!!

    my favourite aples are fuji apples - sweet but also always crisp....

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1. 20 Ounce - I love to EAT these!! So tart and crisp - yummmm!!! But at the end of the season not so tart or crisp...

    2. McIntosh - I don't like soft so please don't put these in my lunchbox!!

    3. Red Delicious - these are only good to look at! haha!

    6. Cortland- red and tart - YUMMMMM!!!! My absolute favorite!!! But, again at the end of the season they lose it.

    7. Granny Smith - If I can't have a nice cortland or 20 oz - these are a respectable substitue. :)

    11. Idared- this one made me laugh - at first I read "I Dared!"

    ReplyDelete
  15. You know, Shelly, I wasn't sure how to write that one (#11). If it weren't for the fact that it was written that way on the NY State apple site I would have written it Ida Red, like they do Paula Reds.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh fine I shall make a pie.
    we have frozen mac's in there
    and I have all the fixings sooooo I shall bake today.thanks for making my mouth water

    ReplyDelete