Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Pusteblume # 2

I'm not exactly sure what "pusteblume" means but I'm with Gudl, dandelions do make wonderful photos. I've taken way more than enough dandelion pictures this year, but I don't think I'm finished either. I also have a strange inclination to take photos of puffy old cattails.

The vegetable garden is coming along at a very slow pace. The weeds took over with a vengance this spring and they are totally out of control. My son, Dave, is supposed to stop over on Friday and help me get it tilled up again. I am fighting with myself on how many veggies to put in. I already have two regualr tomato plants and one cherry, two bell peppers and six chiles, and six celery plants. I am hoping to get some pickling cucumbers (and maybe some for slicing) on Friday morning. I think that will be it... if I keep control... With all the other summer activities maybe that will be enough.

13 comments:

  1. Thank you!! Looks great so far, and sounds like a salad! Yummmy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salads are the objective, well, that and pickles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My farmer-husband always puts in our garden. Otherwise it probably wouldn't get done. : ) But I'm glad for the produce, and do a lot of canning and freezing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Martha my darlin...you can make a blade of grass into a work of art...your photos are incredible...now Martha...say to gramanita..."Thankyou, I know!"..thats good...you have a gift and its wonderful that your sharing them with others...you can do so many wonderful things..you are truly a marvelous human bean! much love..gramanita

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh oh oh...I have this extremely simple money saving, super tasty idea..for salads..toppers...and so many different things...I will send it tooo you...so simple...so delectable..new and exciting and I made it up by my own self...later loves..yo gramanita

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why thank you Grandmanita! I learned from one of the best and I'm still learnin'. I'm hopin' you make it down here to share some of this wonderful salad we'll be havin' and to help me make pickles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes I have strand inclinations too...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, okay, I'll fix my typos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pusteblume is actually a childlike way of saying "Löwenzahn" which is the German word for dandelion.
    Here a little German lesson:
    Löwe= Lion
    Zahn= tooth
    So... in German it is actually called liontooth

    pusten=to blow
    Blume=flowerr
    So ... Pusteblume actually says Blowflower.

    Now you know!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Gudl. My Hannah is wanting to learn German. I bought her a computer program to help and maybe we'll have to take a ride and visit you sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have also heard that dandelion is translated "lion's tooth". It has to do with the leaves. Grandma used to put the leaves in salad or cook them up like spinach. I didn't care for them as a child and haven't eaten them as an adult.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did not care for them as a kid either. But one night a couple of years ago, we had guests over for dinner. They brought a salad with dandelion greens in it. I was suspicious...but I ate it to be polite. You know what? That salad was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The dande in the word "dandelion" is derived from the latin prefix "dent" which means tooth.

    look here

    ReplyDelete