Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Posted


About two weeks ago our neighbor decided to post signs all around his property. He lives alone and apparently isn't interested in being friendly with any of his neighbors. I found his actions to be quite insulting and yet somewhat amusing at the same time. We have no reason to set foot on his land aside from discussing our drainage issue. He doesn't own the orchard, just a five acre plot next door.
The signs are highly visable and keep me thinking, checking my motives and asking God how to purify my own heart. How do I love someone who refuses contact? How do I respond when I pass him in my car or meet him in the grocery store? How do I act when I see him out in his yard? How do I keep myself from wanting to "get even"?
All wondering aside, I started thinking about my own "Posted: No Trespassing" signs. They aren't necessarily visable, they're in my heart and mind. I too have certain lines that I don't want anyone to cross. I'm not really so much different on the inside than my neighbor, but Jesus is working, helping me to realize those areas where I need to change. One by one He can remove those posted sings from my heart and teach me how to welcome others in, even unlovable neighbors.

10 comments:

  1. This is a great post, a much needed reminder (lest we get too proud) that we all carry these signs somewhere and that we are a work in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Touching narrative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess my first thought is how old is this man? young? old? Mid age crises? Young and raising or making drugs? Old and has recently lost his family or wife? Mid aged and divorced? Whatever the age, he seems to be in some termoil with himself or the world. Sounds like you are working in the right direction, God has all the answers.
    I pray your neighbor finds his inner peace as you are working on yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, we knew there was something we were supposed to learn from this... I guess you figured it out. I wonder what kind of posted signs I have in my heart?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please pray for this man as it is apparent that he is very unhappy. He is single, close to our age and recently retired from law enforcement. Maybe it is just a mid-life crisis...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh, retirment is very stressful for some men. Some acutally go through a grief process not unlike death of a family member. You know; anger, guilt, bargining with God etc. Prayers are forth coming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope he doesn't read this post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it cool how The Lord can use something negative to work a positive! Everyone that read this post is thinking about the barriers we put up. Awareness of those barriers is the first step to breaking them down! I know you will just love him when you see him. A smile, a wave...

    ReplyDelete
  9. The smile and wave will be the hard part. My natural reaction is to look the other way. (You can pray for me.) This is someone who has lived next door for 3 years. We have talked with him in the past and have no clue what has set him off.

    ReplyDelete
  10. if anyone can remember, we also have had someone in the family who was a law enforcement officer...its certainly not an easy job and leaves some very untrusting..never knowing who can be trusted etc...sad...but all one can do when running into the folks is be who you are...and give your usual..sincere smile and maybe hello...and in your heart wish them well..thats the most you can do until your asked for more..or not

    ReplyDelete