Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Gardens and Stuff

Summer is closing in fast. My son Dave stopped over late Saturday afternoon and tilled up the garden area for me. Yesterday James had Nathan build me some boxes to plant my vegetables in, and this morning we took some time to set out the plants. I still need to plant my pickling cucumbers and I did end up adding four butternut squash and a bed full of flowers (celosia and zinias). Hannah helped me put weed block on four of the six beds so hopefully that will cut down on the weeding that will need to be done later on. Now I'm ready to sit on the back porch and relax for a while. Anybody for some iced tea or lemonade?
Nathan found some more summer fun, a silly little toad. He's looking very serious in the photo. Maybe he was afraid he might turn into lunch. No need to worry. We put him back in the flower garden where its safe.

13 comments:

  1. Great photos, especially of the toad! Great close-up shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Credit for the toad photo goes to Nathan. I just couldn't resist putting him up here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that picture of James before you kissed him. What kind of camera do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are great pictures, you are quite the photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nathan, YOU are quite the photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ice tea, please, no sugar. Good looking frog err, I mean bug catcher for your garden. Zinias are so pretty, fresh and cut. What are pickling cucumbers, well, I know for pickling, but what kind do you buy? Are they called pickling cucumbers or what?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh... it would have been lovely to sit on your back porch with some iced tea... even if I'm not crazy about iced tea. But I bet if I had asked nicely you would have supplied me with a glass of ice water instead. And maybe, just maybe, you would have had a lemon wedge too. But if not, it still would have been lovely....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll take the lemonade. I love the greenery around your house. It is so lush. I agree about the toad picture - or is it a frog?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice! I see your son is taking after you with his great photography skills!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha, just realized Nathan took BOTH these pictures.

    Gmj, pickling cucumbers are short and stubby not long and sleek like the ones we slice into out salads. Last year I made Bread and Butter pickles and I want to make some more this year.

    Dave, I'll leave the toad kissing to Rachel... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shelly, you can always drink ice water. Hmmm... guess I'll have to invest in some lemons.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You always have the best toad/frog pictures on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I usually ask for ice water too, but lemonade sounds good today. Hope you really did take time to relax on the porch for awhile!

    ReplyDelete