Thursday, June 29, 2006

Playing in the Woods


This is one of my favorite childhood memories, camping at Webster Park and playing in the woods. It was a woods of tall, old pine trees planted years before by the boy scouts. The ground was open, shady, and covered with pine needles. It was a wonderful place to play on a hot summer day. One summer we learned to build houses of sticks and pine cones. The cones were like logs for the walls, held up by little sticks on either side. We would lays sticks over the walls when they were finished and "roof" the house with a layer of pine needles. We cleared an area for a yard and strung leaves on another stick and hung them to "dry" in the yard like tobacco. I believe this is the only photo we have of this wonderful game. Too bad Dad didn't have a digital camera back then, we could have had a lot of fun!

Sorry for leaving you out of the photo, Priscilla. I wanted a close up of the house.

5 comments:

  1. That's ok. My sexy little knee is in the picture...that's worth something I guess.

    I was a fun game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I participated in this with you guys. I was probably running around with Debbie("had a doughtnut") or some other kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like we really only did this one year and there were other kids in the park who participated. It was just one of those games that I really enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Priscilla, you sexy thing!

    ReplyDelete