Friday, June 23, 2006

Strawberries


This morning I decided that if I was to get any strawberries at all this year, today would have to be the day. I corralled Ben and Hannah and took them along to help. Josiah would have helped too but his work clothes were in the dryer and there wasn't time for him to run to the strawberry patch and back home again before work. It's a little late in the season to pick, so the berries weren't quite as big, but they weren't too bad. I'm planning on turning quite a few of them into jam. I love making jam in the middle of winter and giving the jars as holiday gifts. Mmmmm!!! Now I have my work cut out for me. I suppose that for most of the day I will be washing, hulling, and either cutting or crushing berries. No time to blog, I must get to work!











Later...
I spent the entire afternoon on my back porch, just where I love to be. First I fixed a nice cup of some fancy coffee, Rainforest Supreme, from Wegaman's, then I started washing the berries.
Once I had my giant Tupperware bowl full, I took my coffee and went out to the porch to relax and hull and cut berries. It really was a very nice afternoon and I love to sit on the back porch and do something productive. I now have five good sized bags of chopped strawberries for shortcake and two bags ready to make into strawberry jam whenever I'm ready.






Doing strawberries is always an all day kind of job but it only comes around once a year so I've set my mind to enjoy the work while I have it to do. The berries look, smell, and taste so yummy that it isn't hard to enjoy the job!

6 comments:

  1. I don't think I'm picking any this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well then, Priscilla, you'll just have to come out and have some shortcake with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to LOVE picking strawberries! When we lived in Gananda I picked every year. The place we went to had a huge wagon, pulled by a tractor, and it took people out to the strawberry patch. I haven't picked since we moved to Webster. I have bought quite a few from Wegman's though. We love strawberry shortcake and to just pop them in our mouth too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm usually very happy to have jamie pick them. Although I picked them last year and the year before.

    I just don't know when I'll get a chance to this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi again...I just had not realized that this site was still going on...so I came here to visit...and what do I see but all kinds of wonderful things...you know Martha...that strawberry picking series...Ben and Hannah in the field would be loverly framed prints along with a couple maybe 5/7's of the strawberrys and you working so hard to make them right...beautiful shot...what an artistic family...what an artistic woman you are...and sooo diverse...and sounds like your passing it all on to the most wonderful children in the world...yours...I love you all...hugs gramanita

    ReplyDelete