Saturday, June 17, 2006

I Want to Ride My Bicycle


Remember when everyone in the neighborhood rode a bicycle something like this? I had a green girl's bike that I got from my cousin, Pam. It was the best bicycle ever! How many people could you and your friends get on one bike? I remember riding triple on occasion (both the sissy bar and the handlebars helped out with that) but not farther than around the block. We usually came home woth bleeding knees and scraped up elbows. No wonder we crashed all the time and we had never even heard of a bicycle helmet.



My freind, Peggy, was about two years older than me and she would sit on the back of the seat with me in front of her. I would put my feet on top of hers on the pedals and we would feel like we were flying. These bikes held up great on trails through the woods or fields and were perfect for street riding too. Of course when we got a little older, we felt the need to trade the old bikes in for a ten- speed. Little did we know how much our old bicycles would be worth someday and how much we would miss them. I'm not sure my kids would be caught dead riding one, but we sure did love them. Give me a banana seat and a sissy bar anyday and we can all ride triple again. "Hey! Get your head out my way! I can't see where I'm going!"

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I remember those! Debbie and I used to ride double on my ten speed. We crashed terribly up near Ridgecrest once, I still have the scar on my elbow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and you don't want to be going downhill on the handlebars of a three-speed when the driver puts on the brakes. OUCH! Burned up the insides of both my legs. I never did that again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My bike was purple with a white banana seat that had a pink strip.

    You should see my bike now! It is so cool. A retro one from the fifties. (actually it's new...but looks retro) I call it my gramma bike.

    ReplyDelete