Thursday, June 08, 2006

Lobster Woman Rides Again


Before my dear husband left for sunny Florida, I promised my two youngest children that we would do something different while he was gone, something we don't normally do, like... maybe go for a bike ride together. I really felt like staying home today, but since it wasn't too hot and muggy, we decided it would be a good time to take the trip. It's supposed to rain tomorrow and I really didn't want to disappoint anyone. We got the bikes out, the kids donned their helmets, and we took off, destination- B. Foreman Park. I don't know how far away the park is, probably 2 1/2 or 3 miles, but it was a long way for a mom who hasn't been out for a bike ride in a couple of years. (That is an old picture.) I was tired by the time we got to the park and sat down to rest while Ben and Hannah threw rocks in the lake and walked along the shore. It was starting to rain when we headed for home. I told them not to worry about waiting for me, that I would get there eventually. By the time we got onto Salmon Creek, I was just about finished (I had only eaten cantalope this morning and I was starving!), but I couldn't stop. Ben, being the concerned gentleman, didn't want to leave me back there alone, and so he would either stop or go slow until I started to catch up. Maybe he thought I would collapse along the side of the road and no one would know who I was... I'm happy to say that, with a little bit of prayer and a push or two from the Lord, I did manage to make it back home. My legs felt like rubber and I dropped onto the couch where I stayed for the next couple of hours. I had a nice long nap while the kids watched Mr. Incredible on the computer. Now I am wondering what other kind of torture I can put myself through before James comes home...

6 comments:

  1. LOL! Great job!! I've been on bike rides like that where I just didn't think I'd make it home... but somehow I always did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always make me laugh! You really needed to make sure you ate some eggs or something too, but I'm sure you realized that when you almost died on the way home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started to put the helmet on but my hairclip was in the way. The way I figure it, I'm in more danger if I can't see than if I'm not wearing a helmet. Yes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rach, after I collapsed onto the couch I had Ben bring me an ice cream sandwich. It wasn't on my list of acceptable foods but was the quickest and easiest thing I could think of. I had eggs for supper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good bike ride Mom! I would feel the same way. I haven't ridden a bike in ages!

    ReplyDelete