Saturday, May 04, 2019

The Mom Files

Sometimes my mom and I were good friends and other times we were painfully disconnected. I desperately wanted to break down the walls that had been erected between us, but if she was aware of the separation, she never let on. Mom taught me that if you ignore the problem or pretend it didn't happen, it will eventually go away. Except that isn't really true and so the chasm between us remained, along with a pain I couldn't reconcile. - February 26, 2016

This is where I need to start, and I have known deep inside for years upon years. I love her, I miss her, I wish she was still here, but what I really need to do is go back, open the envelopes, grieve, cry, forgive, heal, and move on as a stronger, healthier, and wholer individual.

Mom wasn't perfect, none of us are... She was wounded, because none of us escape life without wounds... And she made mistakes, because we all mess up along the way. There is no looking to place blame, only to heal and embrace the beautiful but jagged pieces of Martha that are so much like my mom. It's okay to be like her in those precious beautiful ways.

2 comments:

  1. This touched me deeply Martha. You definitely are beautiful and the Lord is working on those jagged pieces.
    You are okay and it is okay to be like her in those precious beautiful ways.
    Healing takes time. I'm so glad you are on your "way".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martha, You and I share more than you know. I lived with a Mom that never liked me very much, disapproved of things I did, but acted like everything was perfectly okay. Shove it under the table and pretend everything is alright. It takes a lot to just "let it go" but you can do it.
    God bless you, Martha. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete