Thursday, January 15, 2015

A is for Apple

Winter weather is funny. Yesterday morning was a knock out, today was so-so. It's all in that white stuff that flutters down from the heavens covering us in either a thick blanket or a lacy coverlet. Or something in between. Nothing new appeared last night and much of yesterday's snow had already been disturbed. Narnia, in real life, doesn't last long. One has to be quick if it is to be thoroughly relished. (Yesterday was no Narnia, by the way, we had that on Monday.)

I caught sight of Little Red this morning as he ran up the tree with a rather large peanut in his mouth. I tried to capture the image but he would have none of it. Instead of sitting still, he took of running down a very narrow branch, hopped into the maple tree and was gone. What I'd really have liked to witness is the tiny creature hauling this apple up from ground level to the tree branch where it's been sitting for most of the day. He probably needed a nap after that workout!

I keep thinking maybe I will get down by the lake or out on a nature trail for a walk, but so far I haven't been that adventurous. Maybe next week... or maybe even tomorrow. You just never know what a day will bring. I can pretty much count on birds and squirrels if I stay home and so far they've been kind of fun.

A is for Apple, ABC Wednesday.

8 comments:

  1. Love, love, love the woodpecker!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a frequent visitor who doesn't always like to share.
      :0)

      Delete
  2. Too darn cold to go for a walk....
    Perhaps Saturday....
    Yes...there's a plan.....Saturday....
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping for a walk soon too. My backside's getting mushy.
      :0)

      Delete
  3. It was 30F this morning, then dropped 20 degrees during the day, with lake effect snow - and Lake Ontario is far from Albany!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Roger! Yes, I noticed the temperature drop throughout the day too. And the lake effect snow didn't affect us at all.

      Delete
  4. I love snow particularly when it has just fallen. It doesn't stay long in the part of the UK where I live, Liverpool on the NW Coast. There's a gulf stream that trickles down the coast line which makes for a milder climate. The woodpecker has brilliant colouring, I love to hear them tap tap tapping as they go about their daily doings, grand stuff!
    Nice writing.
    Best wishes,
    Di.
    ABCW team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fresh snow is the prettiest. And there is just something wonderful about woodpeckers, isn't there?

      Delete