Monday, January 19, 2015

Me N'eider

My dear daughter had fallen behind on her business paperwork and called for help, so late this morning I headed out to Webster to lend a hand. I wrote out addresses, signed invoices, and stuffed envelopes. I snuggled a small boy named Jacob and enjoyed a visit with my daughter. It was a good morning.

Before heading home I took a detour down to Irondequoit Bay. Nothing too exciting there, but I did stop to snap a few photos. A woman by the pier asked me if I was a photographer.

"I play," I answered with a smile.

"Are you a birder?" she asked.

"Not really, " I said, but I was there to take pictures and this is where the water fowl congregate.  Ducks, geese, swans, and gulls...

"There is a rare bird here this year, " she told me. For a moment she had it in her sight, but when I looked into the glass I saw nothing but water. It was too cold to hang out long and I soon headed back to my vehicle.

"Maybe I'll google it, " I told her.

"It's a King Eider, " she said, "I'm Eider a king or eider I'm not."

I laughed and assured her I wouldn't forget, and I haven't.

12 comments:

  1. Yes, you are a photographer and yes, you are a birder! :)
    Neat shot on that first one...love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a little tricky following a bird in flight, but I do love those seagulls. Wish I knew what they were thinking.
      :0)

      Delete
    2. Exactly! Except I didn't have any bread with me today.
      Maybe next time.
      :0)

      Delete
  2. I googled it!
    Wow....what a handsome duck!
    And...I agree with Betsy♥️
    And....you are having no trouble at all filling in your days!
    We drove to the cottage, and did some thrifting...
    I got some awesome baskets!
    Enjoy your evening...
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I googled it too. Now I'll have to go back and see if I can actually find it and take a picture.
      Thrifting sounds like fun.
      :0)

      Delete
  3. photogenic environs and birds with humor thrown in- top notch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how fun Martha. I loved reading this. Yes, you are a photographer, and how sweet to give B. a hand in all her work.
    Thanks for the text. Love you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not very good at selling myself, am I?
      Keep Beth and Adam in your prayers. She sent a note tonight telling me he broke his elbow today.
      That does not sound fun.

      Delete
    2. Oh no, that doesn't sound good at all. Will he be in a cast? Life just keeps happening, doesn't it?

      Delete
    3. Life keeps happening. Yes. No cast. He's not supposed to lift anything, but he's still planning on going to work, of course.

      Delete