Thursday, January 01, 2015

New Year Stuff (and such)

 "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. 
2 Corinthians 5:17

I'm vacillating when it comes to writing an actual New Year's post. Do I or don't I? For one reason or another I've just not taken the time to really think it all through this time around and feel totally unprepared for all the "newness." However, that does not mean I don't have any thoughts or ideas at all. It only means the thoughts and ideas are not quite firmly set. One year I resolved to give up coffee. Ha ha! I'm not making that mistake twice There are always the old standby resolutions to lose weight, eat healthy and exercise more... (sigh) I do want that and January is a great time to start those things all over again, but I'm looking for something else this year.

For far too long I have been "Last-Minute Martha". This year I would like to make a more concerted effort to be ahead of the eight-ball instead of behind it. By the time December comes back around, I want to have all of my shopping and gift wrapping done so I can enjoy a more stress free Christmas. (I might need a reminder of this halfway through the year...Joeks, are you there?) I'm going to practice by being ready for birthdays ahead of time. Let's see... Joe's is in just a few days. Guess I'd better get hopping.

Being more thankful, counting more blessings, and seeing the joy in little everyday things is something I could work on too. I've made some improvements, but more progress would be helpful. Maybe I'll find a fancy jar in which to keep little notes of thankfulness. A pretty jar and some Post-It notes. That doesn't sound too difficult.

And finally, I'd like to push myself a little farther, take a few more risks, and do things I find just a little bit intimidating. Never get too deeply entrenched in a rut. (Try flying cross-country to visit some folks you've never met in person before. It might just turn out to be one of the highlights of your year!) It's going to be a great adventure.

PS. We made a new treat this Christmas. "Coal- for naughty children". It was a big hit. Good thing Christmas only comes once a year or I'd be tempted to mix up another batch just for me.
:0)

Oh yes, and our mouse? He had friends, at least three of them. Snap! Snap! Snap! and they were taken care of too. I hope that's all for a while.

10 comments:

  1. You are wise not to make too many resolutions....
    I have none! Hahaha!
    Except...of course....to lose even just 5 lbs before February.....doesn't seem like a lot, but it gets harder every year!
    Have a great day....cold here....
    Got the tree out to the street....vacuumed.... Everything boxed up.....phew....done for another year!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad the meeses are gone!

      Delete
    2. Those meeses are gone for now anyway. (Always keep your butter hidden underneath the glass butter dish cover.)
      We still have the tree. We're having yet another "party" this evening as Bethany's Christmas box is still under the tree. They're finally feeling better again and venturing out this evening. I made that second lasagna.

      Delete
  2. I like your thoughts. I'm still mulling mine over. :)

    Glad the mice are gone. Don't your kitties eat mice? Boy, mine would have smelled them the moment they came in the house. Your cats are more civilized than mine. Or maybe they are part of the No Cruelty To Animals campaign. Or vegans. Yeah, they are probably vegans. ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My cats, at least Oreo, do catch and eat mice. Perhaps the mice are easier to catch outside the house than they are once they get in? Or maybe we have way too many hiding places.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. Happy 2015 to you too!
      Perhaps I should resolve to do better at actually making my Daily Prayer posts, maybe even doing them a little ahead of time. Yes?

      Delete
  4. Yep, I'm here. Will try to send a friendly reminder sometime in July!
    That "coal" probably wouldn't last very long around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always smile and think of you when I come across my list of Christmas reminders. I have no doubt you would be the first to help me remember this stuff. Thanks.
      :0)

      Delete