Friday, January 09, 2015

Oopsie...

Late Wednesday morning I left home in the cold and snow to take my son back to his place in Auburn, NY. Before leaving I remembered to take my allergy medicine. As I popped the little white pill into my mouth, I made the observation that it was smooth and round, rather than oblong like the last bottle I'd purchased.

Joe and I set off at about 11:18 am. Taking into account a stop for gasoline and some not-so-very-nice weather and road conditions, I told Hannah I'd see her in about 3 hours, grabbed my cup of coffee, and headed out the door. Joe and I chatted along the way and enjoyed our time together. When we got close to his residence, we decided to take a little detour through the old Fort Hill Cemetery before I dropped him off at home. I filled my gas tank there in the little city before getting on the road back home.

The roads were slick in some places and there were spots where blowing snow made visibility difficult. I considered stopping at Dunkin Donuts along the way but wasn't in dire need of a restroom (or a donut) so I kept going. I listened to the radio, turned the heat both up and down along the way, depending on how sleepy it was making me, and tried to focus on the road and those driving both ahead and behind me. As I drove along I got sleepier and sleepier.

I was about a half hour away from home and about to pass McDonalds when I very seriously considered a trip through the drive-thru for a cold drink. It was getting really hard to keep my eyes open, but not needing anymore sugar or extra fluid to fill up my bladder, I drove on past. Ten minutes from home the fight led me to make a phone call to My Darling in the hope that actually talking to someone would keep me focused until I arrived safely at home. I felt my mind clear as soon as he answered the phone.

Five minutes later I was safely in my driveway. It was 2:15pm. "How's that for 3 hours?" I asked Hannah. I found myself something to eat, sat down on the couch to check my computer, and soon found myself inextricably drawn to the pillow next to me. Soon I was falling asleep. It wasn't until I took my allergy medicine yesterday that I noticed my allergy pills really are white and oblong. I'd accidentally taken a melatonin before setting out on my midday journey Wednesday. No wonder I was feeling sleepy! (Did I tell you I am also blond?)

10 comments:

  1. Oh my I was hanging on every word, waiting to hear what you had taken by mistake....Glad you made it home safe and sound. Blond??? happens to redheads, and us grayheads too. HaHa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know that "little voice"? Well, I should have paid better attention to what it was saying.

      Delete
  2. Blonde or Blind??? hahaha!
    Do those pills really make you sleepy???
    thought I might try some...

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do, Linda. They're great if one intends to go to bed reasonably soon, but I wouldn't recommend operating any kind of machinery after taking it.
      As my daughter would say, "Oy vey!"

      Delete
  3. Well Martha, just so you know, we have three couches here to sack out on, so if you ever need a nap, you can stop in. I can't promise quiet though. But you can always count on me for a cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Della. If I ever get myself into such a spot again, I shall take you up on your offer.
      :0)

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you arrived safely home and didn't get into an accident.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Had I realized my error, I would have at least stopped at the McDonalds in Wolcott and grabbed a drink.
      :0)

      Delete
  5. You are hilarious! If I noticed my pill was the wrong shape, I would have spit it out and checked it! lol...
    We dole out a lot of melatonin to the boys here every night...thank goodness it makes them sleep all the way through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd purchased a new bottle of generic Zertec (instead of Clariton) a while back and I've been putting all my vitamins and allergy pills into a pill box. But, I haven't filled my box yet this week, and the labels on the bottles were facing the wrong direction in my medicine cabinet. Melatonin is nice stuff for sleeping, but it doesn't help much with my itchiness.
      :0)

      Delete