Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Chair (part 2)

I actually sat out on the back porch and worked on my chair yesterday afternoon. Here by the lake it was rather breezy and cold so I dressed in layers, two sweatshirts. Since we already had some cane which was the right size hiding out in the basement, I didn't need to order or purchase any. Big time saver!
I gathered my supplies; cane, pegs, a skinny screwdriver and a big bowl of water to soak the cane in (one piece at a time). Later on I had to go searching for a spray bottle too to moisten the cane already on the chair.
The first step is figuring out where to start and then the cane is strung back and forth, side to side, and back and forth, each layer on top of the other. The final side to side layer is woven up and down so that the seat is knit together.
If there are too many pegs holding the loose ends, I turn the chair over and tie a few knots.
This is what the seat looked like when I went to bed last night. I'm still weaving the last side to side step, and doing a little straightening as I go. Often, once I get the square part of the seat finished, my husband takes over and finishes the rest of the chair, the diagonal weaving that makes the little hexagon shapes in the seat. I learned how to cane from him about 20 years ago when he would occasionally do a chair for the Webster Furniture Strippers. It was a way to make a little extra money when we were young and just starting out. He learned from an "older" friend (he was probably our age...) at church. This isn't something we do often but every once in a while we get the opportunity and it is kind of fun.

6 comments:

  1. Wow!! I am so impressed with you! Ya just bowled me over with this cane the chair post. Very detailed explaination . Great shots. LOL!! have you been pulling my leg? Your not a bottle blond are you? :>)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is not the natural blondes who give us the bad name, you know. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are James are such a great team!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool! Chair looks great so far. Looking forward to seeing the finished pic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have two chairs in my basement that need caning. I had the same teacher as Martha did...about 20 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You put me to shame. LOL. Look out Martha Stewart!

    ReplyDelete