Thursday, September 18, 2008

Pepper Pickin'

This is my second year trying to grow green chilis. When I buy the plants, the tag says "green chilies, grows 8-10 inches long." Last year I got 2" long peppers. They grew up toward the sun, were very hot but not near big enough to roast and freeze for the winter. This year's peppers grew downward and are 2-4" long, still too small to roast on the grill. I have yet to find a chili pepper plant that will grow like I want it to, so this year I bought another bushel from the local farm market. The peppers I grew will not go to waste. We will roast them on a cookie sheet under the broiler and save them for winter dishes too. They may be small but they pack a mighty punch!

The bees are still busy collecting their winter supply of pollen. The yard doesn't look near as pretty to me as sometimes. The greens are not as brilliant and the colors not as plentiful or vibrant. Nevertheless, these little purple wildfowers are a bright spot along the drainage ditch and attract both bees and butterflies. Goldenrod also grows there and if the day were a little warmer, it would have been a nice place to sit and relax for a bit.

4 comments:

  1. THe peppers will be enjoyed I bet. How nice. When does the snow come? I really envy all the open space you have. Just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice p&p's (peppers and photos ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures are absolutely gorgeous! I love the purple/bee one.. I've been wanting to compliment you on them, some of them are amazing.. you have quite a bit of talent there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Cheryl. God does an awesome job painting pictures. If we can capture them in a photo, it is an added bonus.

    ReplyDelete